Chapter Eighty-Six: The Old Man

[jordans house–around two-forty, thursday]

REGINALD HARGREEVES stepped out of the jet in a slightly rushed manner, his cane moving just as fast as his feet. Five shifted uncomfortablely next to Jordan, remembering that time that his father had locked him up in a cell and then he had been forced to escape.

"What the hell has happened here?" Reginald said, eyeing the house. He was standing in front of the broken window, his brow furrowed together. Jordan was surprised to realize that he had barely even glanced at his children, especially the ones that had been shot.

"Uh...you can come in, if you'd like," Jordan said weakly, gesturing to the door.

"I'd rather not," the man said coldly. "Now, hurry up and get ready to go, children. We have much to discuss, and I'd prefer to do it somewhere that is not a hobo-shack and not in front of this...boy." He sneered towards Jordan, who flinched.

Reginald was kind of an asshole.

"No," Diego said suddenly. "If you want to discuss something, you'll have to discuss it in front of Jordan too."

Reginald's cold blue eyes finally looked at Jordan. He seemed to be scanning the boy, and his sneer turned into an emotionless expression.

"What makes him so special, Number Two?"

"He has powers," Klaus spoke up. "One of the kids you didn't get. Oh, and your son is in love with him."

Five flushed red, but Reginald seemed to think it was Klaus that was in love with Jordan, because his next words were, "Of course you are."

Klaus rolled his eyes and jammed his hands into the pockets of his pants but said nothing.

Reginald turned his face back to Jordan, a new interest sparkling in his eyes. "Do you truly have powers, boy?"

"Yeah," Jordan nodded. "But first, help Luther and Allison. They got shot, sir, and I'm unsure about how well they're doing."

Reginald stared for a moment longer, the air tense.

"Pogo!" he shouted without warning. "Come and retrieve Numbers One and Three; they've both been shot by a gun."

The monkey-man from earlier stepped out of the jet, followed by Grace, who seemed tense yet she smiled stiffly when she saw Jordan holding hands with Five.

The two of them worked to move Luther carefully while Diego followed, helping were he could. No one else moved, still watching Reginald heistantly.

"I assume that this has something to do with time-travel, Number Five?" the man finally said. Five nodded, his jaw clenched and his eyes daring the older man to say something.

"We can discuss it at a later date," said Reginald stiffly. "Now, help your sisters to the jet, and let us leave." He turned away and took a step towards the jet.

"We aren't leaving without Jordan," Five spoke up suddenly, his hands tightening around the other's. "Don't you want anohter superhero anyways?"

Reginald turned back towars them, his eyes considering Jordan. He shifted uncomfortably underneath the weight of the man's gaze, his skin crawling; he felt like a pig being auctioned off.

"Doesn't he have a mother? A father? Although I would like to, I am not legally permitted to steal a child."

"My mother wouldn't care. She went missing a few days ago, anyways. My father is nonexistant, obviously." Jordan spoke quickly; despite already hating this man in front of him, he knew that he couldn't stay in this house anymore. It barely even qualified as a house anymore; there was a giant hole in the backyard, and dead bodies scattered like confetti.