Chapter Seventy-Six: Diego & Ronald / Tate's Arrival

[jordans house–one p.m., tuesday afternoon]

DIEGO STARED at himself in the bathroom mirror, his mind mulling over everything that had happened in the past few hours.

First, everyone had gotten into a fight. It wasn't completely unexpected, of course, but Five and Luther and Jordan had wanted to start planning now, while everyone else had wanted to wait and relax for at least an hour. Ron had disappeared after the talk with Jordie.

Second, Ben had stormed outside for reasons unknown. Klaus had followed immediately, and Five had said something rude to Vanya and Allison. They'd all separated, all eight spread out through the house. Klaus and Ben could be seen from the kitchen where Luther remained cleaning; Allison and Vanya had gone up to the attic. Jordan and Five had fled to Jordan's room.

And Diego had made his way to the bathroom. Now, he was staring at himself in the mirror. Slowly, his hand lifted itself and started tracing the letters carved into his skin.

He didn't know what language it was in, but it definitely wasn't English. But it was there. And that weird Phrankie lady hasn't been able to get rid of it. It would always be there, sitting on his skin.

Diego clenched his jaw and turned away from the mirror. He needed to do something else. If he had his knives, he'd be content to go to the attic and throw them mindlessly. Except those fuckers at the Commission had taken his and he felt weird going into the kitchen and taking some.

Now he was in the hallway. What was Diego doing? God. His mind felt like a war zone—he couldn't focus on anything for longer than a few seconds. He should talk to someone. But who? He didn't need to dump this on anyone. Besides, they all had someone else; Allison and Vanya, Ben and Klaus, Jordan and Five. Besides Luther, and Diego refused to go to Luther for emotional support. No way in hell would those two become best friends. Nope. Never. Wouldn't happen.

"Hey."

Diego whirled around, his muscles tensing (ouch. He just now realized that they were aching like all hell. Maybe the Reels had some Ibuprofen? Of course they would, they had an entire fucking first-aid kit) before seeing Ron standing in the doorway to his room. The boy brushed back his long brown hair, and Diego remembered that one time when he'd been in the bathroom oh so long ago, and he'd come across the rather obvious fact that Ron was transgender.

"Uh, hey," Diego replied elegantly. He grimaced at his lack of people skills and wished that he could sink into the floor. Or take a nap. God, he could go for another nap. Like, a million. Sleeping forever would be very nice.

"Are you okay?" Ron asked him, tugging on the sleeves of his shirt. He shifted his weight and was obviously trying to avoid eye contact with Diego.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" Diego lied, smiling. Ron arched an eyebrow.

"Just because I'm younger than you doesn't mean I'm an idiot," he says.

"I don't have to confide in someone younger than me," Diego responded and Ron shrugged.

"No, you don't. But you seem quite upset."

"Whatever," Diego says. "What're you doing?"

"Packing," Ron said. "Apparently, Jordan is shipping me off to Tate's while danger's near."

"I don't blame him," Diego crossed his arms and glanced towards the door that was open a sliver; he couldn't see either of the two, but their voices could be heard just barely. "I wouldn't want my siblings in danger."

"They are, though." Ron crossed his own arms.

"I know," Diego said, shrugging. "It's why I try to make sure that they always get out before me."

The two are quiet for a moment, and then Ron says, "What kind of music do you listen to?"

Diego is slightly taken aback by the random question for a second. Ron starts to tap his foot, eyes narrowed, and suddenly Diego feels like this a question on the SAT.

"Uh, whatever catches my eye, I guess," he stammers out. Ron judges him for a minute longer and then shrugs.

"Cool."

Diego is slightly worried he'd said something wrong. He'd figured that the Reel brothers were pretty into alternative, things like Weezer and Green Day and Queen, but...Diego just kind of listened to whatever. Should he have a specific taste?

"Do you wanna come in?" Ron questions, and he steps aside to allow Diego entereance into his room. The boy considers the offer and then shrugs.

"Okay," Diego sits down on the bed, gazing around at the room that had clothes and other things thrown all around.

"What's it like being famous?" Ron asks quietly, starting to fold a few shirts and pack them away. Diego shrugs and answers. Ron keeps on asking questions until he's packed, and then he sits down on the other side of the bed and the two keep talking.

For whatever reason, Diego is starting to feel better.

A/N:

awwwww cute interactions between diego and ron !

this was sort of a filler chapter, to bridge the gap in between the hours from jordan and rons fight to when tate arrives. sorry it's so much shorter than others, but hopefully it was okay (?) and i listened to stripped down versions of twenty one pilot songs the entire time i wrote this lmao

AND i started to really think about the plot for the sequel so i'm getting ready to start preparing that for writing ;)

i hope you liked this chapter and that you have a lovely day!!!