DLDB:40

I was wrong

I was wrong.

But like always I could never admit when I was wrong. I'd embarrassed him all because I wanted him to need me. Jasper's looked at at at me and made me feel a lot of things. But this time, his eyes held nothing but disappointment. I had done one duet and got scared when he danced alone.

Stupid I know.

But I was a stupid girl.

A selfish one too.

I'd never forgotten the look on Jasper's face. How he went from glowing beams of joy all around him, from having a gray cloud over his head. He was angry, but he didn't curse or lash out. He simply handed me his gun and walked off the field.

" And youuuuur out!" Lucas roared.

The shots from the tree had stopped and the field that once held 10 people was now vacant.

" Tisk tisk tisk."

You've got to be kidding me.

I turn around to face Gurney who took confident strides as he approached. His hair was placed in a sloppy bun broadcasting his single earring that dangled from his ear his ripped jeans were covered in grass stains and his red flannel was open exposing bare his chest.

Gurney never hung around high schoolers he surrounded himself with dropouts and played gigs with his band at local bars. He ate weed brownies and smoked vapes. He played the guitar and had girls on the east side wooing over him. Preppy kids weren't his thing. He liked to venture out in a world most of us didn't know. Shopped at thrift stores and wore flannels. Had this whole rocker look going that most girls at my school would reject because he isn't the type your Mom would want you to bring home then again that's what drew a lot of them to him.

Gurney hung around a bunch of older people, yet that didn't make him mature. All and all he was a kid just like the rest of us, but at the same time he wasn't like most of us.

Gurney was rugged and honest. Didn't care for what other people thought of him.

Gurney didn't care for the high school experience.

The dances. The games. The parties. The drama.

But he was a kid. As much as he'd like to deny it.

Kids just wanted to be with other kids.

" Should have left your ass at home to play Guitar Hero." I insulted stepping back. Gurney didn't bother replying as he saw the heel of my boot get stuck in the grate that perimeters Lucas hot tub.

" Fuck." I cursed under my breath tugging at my boot. It wouldn't budge. Gurney held a look of amusement as he took easy strides. He couldn't hold a straight face.