DLDB:77

" Look alive, even on your death bed." - Kinsley Pines

Chapter 77

My manicured finger pressed on the doorbell of the Ranger Manor the envelope in my hands as anxiously waited for the doors to be open. As I heard clicking and turning of the knobs I forced down the knot in my throat and hushed the nerves inside me.

" Kinsley!" Mrs.Rangers said with enthusiasm. " What a lovely surprise come in come in!" Her hair was curled neatly and pearls pressed against her neck, she wore a white cardigan and a yellow dress with white heels. I felt sorry for her, she dressed up every day to go nowhere rarely attending her husband on business trips, being told it isn't a "woman place " aware of his adultery yet never knowing how far the betrayal goes, she didn't marry him for happiness, she married him for love. Shame those to don't go together.

I stepped in the house so clean it's like no one lived in it. I couldn't credit that to Mrs.Ranger I highly doubted she even knew how to use a broom, she didn't clean, cook, or work, she didn't raise her kids, she tried but they didn't respect her but they feared the iron grip of their father just as she did.

       " Can I get you anything? Lily just squeezed some amazing lemonade, I can have her get you a glass? It's been so long since you've been here, I'll have her make your favorite." She said with enthusiasm.

   " Mrs.Ranger, I won't be staying for dinner. I'm just here to see Finn."

  A smile went across her face. "Oh rude of me for assuming, but I'm thrilled that you and my Finn have patched everything up. He missed you so much, you two remind me of Bruce and I when we were your age."

I could see the similarities, young, rich, and forced to marry each other. Only she was more enthusiastic than I was, she had dreamed of marrying into the Ranger family, and most importantly she loved Bruce, he just didn't love her. 

   Forcing a right smile. " Is Finn here?" I questioned.

" Yes, yes my apologies he's upstairs in his room. I could have Lily show you,then again that's silly, you remember where his room is right?"

Right.

How could I forget? 

    My throat goes dry as I nod, " Of course." My heels clacked as I headed up the stairs trying to suppress each daunting memory. I could still hear the music, pounding, booming flicker lights, and the caressing of his hands on me as he guided up the stairs, catching me as I stumble to an uncoordinated walk.

     "Finn." I groaned

" I feel funny."

His cold lips kissed my temples. " It's okay baby, I'll make you feel better."