CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

    Blake smacks his head into the leather steering wheel and groans. I reach across and squeeze his hand. He inhales a deep breath and rests against the chair. I tug his hand to my lips and kiss his knuckles.

    "I can't believe I'm having a supervised visit with my daughter!"

    "You need to look on the positive side, you weren't able to see London before. So please, put on a smile and pretend everything is okay for that little girl who is desperate to see us."

    "I know, it's just." His jaw clenches and his breath is sharp.

    "Yes, of course I understand, but that doesn't change the fact we need to survive today. Once this is over, we put that anger to use, turn it into motivation to kick Tori's ass in court and bring our baby home for good."

    "You're right, baby." He nods.

    "I love you, so damn much."

    We jump out of the car and Blake locks it behind us. I hook my arm through his and wander across the grassy patch and towards the playground.

    London screams with excitement as she races across the field. He crouches, and she hurls herself into his arms. Blake squeezes her body as he swings her into the air. The pair swirls around and she squeals with excitement.

    "Do you want to play on the swings?"

    "Yes." She eagerly nods.

    He places her on the ground and she shoots towards the swing set. Blake chases and the two dive into the sandpit. He places London on the tyre swing and pushes her into the air. She grips onto the chains and squeals with delight.

    A smile spreads across my lips as I wander to the park bench. The social worker, Annie or something like that, glances at me. She flashes a tight smile, then readjusts against the bench.

    "Hey! Thank you for finding the time for us." I smile.

    "Well." She grits. "How could I say no after the ten emails?"

    "And sixteen missed phone calls." I bite my lip.

    "Right! How could I forget that?"

    "I'm not sorry about bugging you. Blake might not be her biological father, but he is her father, and he misses her so much."

"Yes, it's common for families to struggle during times like these."

"How can someone not struggle through a time like this? Going from every second of the day, to maybe an hour once a week. It's a shock to the system."

"It can be." She nods.

"Can we see her before Wednesday?"

    "No, I'm busy with other cases."