CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Kyle measures the wall and marks a couple of points, then uses the leveller to ensure the points are straight. He remarks one of the points, then tucks the pencil behind his ear. He takes a step back and inspects the marks before turning around.

"I think it looks perfect now, but what do you think?"

The rocking chair dips as I lean back. I tilt my head to the side and pinch my chin.

"It looks good, but I think it needs to go up a little."

He slides his fingers through his messy brown hair and sighs. Kyle places his forehead against the wall and subtly bangs it. He spins around and points to the wall.

"You've got three options, pick one or I'm leaving."

"But Kyle." I pout.

"I'm serious about leaving."

"Ugh, fine, I'll go with the second option."

"Thank you."

With a sigh, he double checks the points with the leveller. I slide my hands around my stomach and grumble under my breath.

"Just know that your Uncle Kyle is an asshole sometimes."

Kyle tosses the pencil at my head, but it hits the chair and tumbles to the ground.

"I'm not an asshole, you can't make your mind up. Also, you better watch that mouth of yours because you'll have an innocent little baby listening to you soon enough."

"I'm sorry for wanting the room to be perfect." I sigh.

"There's perfection and then there's being indecisive."

"You can't throw things at me either because that'll teach her that it's okay."

"But it's okay to throw pencils at you." He smirks.

"Ha-ha." I glare.

With a grin, he plugs the drill in and I block my ears. My nose wrinkles as the noise shakes through the house. Dust trickles down the wall and my ears ring. He discards the drill and dusts the wall.

London wanders into the room and pouts.

"I'm sorry about the noise." I frown.

She peers around the room and sighs.

"Can we paint my room too?"

Kyle's body tenses and I chuckle at his discomfort.

"When you're a little older, we'll redo your entire room. New paint, a new bed and wardrobe, the whole thing!"

She picks up the white unicorn from the change table and pouts.

"But I want to paint my room now." She sniffles.