CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

London races down the hallway and tosses her pink bag onto the ground. She skids around the counter and almost smacks into the back door. I stand beside her bag and fold my arms over my chest.

She peeks over her shoulder and grins with happiness.

"Can we please play outside?"

"What about your bag? It can't stay here."

"Oh, sorry." She cheekily grins.

"You know the drill, little one."

London drags her feet across the ground as she wanders back to the bag. She takes the strap and drags the bag into the kitchen. She removes the matching purple drink bottle and lunch box and places them beside the sink.

She opens the cupboard and slides her bag onto the bottom shelf, then swings the door shut. Lo runs to the back door and peers outside.

"What about dinner? I thought you wanted to help me." I frown.

"But." She points outside. "I want to play outside before bath time."

"How about we play outside once the food is in the oven? If you help me, it'll be finished quicker and Daddy will be able to play outside with us. Does that sounds okay?"

"Yes." Lo eagerly nods. "What is for dinner?"

"Roast beef, vegetables and Yorkshire puddings, delicious right? Daddy is going to be so excited for dinner when he comes home."

"Mm, delicious!"

London takes the stool out of the cupboard and sets it in front of the kitchen sink. She climbs up and washes her hand while I take the tray from the fridge and put it in the oven.

While the beef is cooking, I take the vegetables and herbs out of the fridge. London moves her stool further down the bench and waits with anticipation.

I grab the chopping boards, knives, bowls and anything else we need. London is in charge or removing the leaves from the rosemary stem and chopping it up.

"Should we listen to some music?"

"Yeah, I like the radio."

I turn the speakers on and connect my phone. Pop music pumps out of the speakers while we work on preparing dinner. I chop the vegetables into cubes and toss them into the tray for Lo to cover in oil and herbs.

As she's coating the vegetables, the front door opens and her blue eyes go wide with excitement. She abandons the oil brush in the tray and races out of the kitchen.

"Daddy!" she screams.

"Ah, I've missed you so much and it's only been a few hours."

"I always miss you." She giggles.