CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Water boils in the saucepan as I rummage through the kitchen cupboard for pasta. All that's left is bowties or sheets for lasagna. I shake bowtie pasta into the pot and stare it down. I won't miss cravings, especially the weird ones.

I lean against the bench and tap my fingernails against it. Warm liquid trickles down my leg and I wrinkle my nose.

"Did I just pee myself?" I wince.

I reach for my phone and dial Blake's number. The line rings until I hit the voicemail option.

"Going to the hospital because my water just broke, or I peed myself, I don't know anymore. I'm going to call our mothers and organise things. Oh my goodness, I'm going to have a baby!" I squeal.

Mum answers on the second ring which soothes my erratic heartbeat.

"Hey, I was just about to call you! I made lasagna and I was thinking about bringing it over. What do you think?"

"My water just broke, can you drive me to the hospital?"

"Yes, oh my god, yes! I'm jumping into the car now, so I'll see you soon."

"Thank you."

I end the call and discard the phone on the kitchen bench. I waddle into the bathroom and discard my wet shorts onto the floor and seek out a dress and clean underwear. I wheel my bag to the front door and return to the kitchen.

The water is bubbling, so I empty the water and put the pasta into the bowl. I stab a piece of pasta and pop it into my mouth.

I'm probably not supposed to eat, but I'm starving and I don't care if I poop myself in labour. I just hope they don't tell me about it.

Halfway through the bowl, a small pain stabs my uterus and I groan.

I'll admit I forgot how much labour pains hurt, and we're just in the beginning of it.

I swipe the phone and call Angela.

"Hi hun, what can I do for you?"

"Could you please pick London up from daycare?"

"Of course! Has Blake got something special planned for you?"

"More so, I have something special planned for him." I chuckle.

"Something romantic I hope! It'll be nice for you two to spend some time together before the baby arrives."

"We'll be spending time together tonight, that's for sure." I laugh. "My water broke! This baby is ready to leave my body and enter the world."

"Ah!" she screams. "Do you need me to do anything else?"

"No, but thank you! Mum's on her way and once I get a hold of Blake, I'll get him to keep you updated about what's happening."