CHAPTER FORTY

CHAPTER FORTY

Angela reclines on the deck chair and bottle feeds Paris. She's taken to the bottle and doesn't mind the mixture of formula and breast milk, which is making life easier. Everyone can feed her, and my boobs get a break.

Whoever said it takes a village to raise a child is completely right. I couldn't do this without my family and friends, especially our mothers.

Blake puts a tray of meat on the table and plonks into the chair next to me. He passes me the tongs and a plate and I dive into the food.

"There's burger patties, sausages and satay chicken kebabs."

"Everything smells delicious." I smile.

I make a burger stuffed with salad and chomp into it. Blake squeezes my knee and I lean against his arm. He makes a hot dog with lots of onion and mustard, which is gross. He takes a bite and moans. I tug on a smile and bump into his side affectionately.

The back door opens and Tori wanders outside with her assumably, new boyfriend. London leaps onto the deck and dives into Tori's arm.

"Hey baby, how are you?" Tori kisses Lo's cheek.

"I'm good." She grins.

Blake jumps up and shuffles around the table.

"Hi Eric, it's nice to meet you." Blake offers his hand, and Eric tightly shakes it.

"Thank you for inviting us into your home."

"No worries! There's beer in the fridge and food on the table, please make yourself at home."

"Cheers." He smiles.

London leans across and pokes Eric in the arm. He jumps, but tugs on a smile.

"Eric, can we play in the sandpit? I want to build a castle for my unicorns."

"Oh okay, sure."

Tori sets London down and she bounds across the squeaky deck. Eric awkwardly follows along with Tori. Blake goes to follow, but I catch his hand and tug him back to the table.

London sits in the shell and hands a bucket to Eric. He grabs a spade and fills the bucket with wet sand. She says something and he laughs. Tori's brown eyes light up and she laughs with them.

"You can't scare him away," I murmur.

"What if he needs to be scared away?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Let's see how it pans out. If you need to step in, by all means, I'll be by your side."

Blake takes a seat and stares them down. I poke his side and shake my head.

"Give the man a chance to do something wrong before you blaze in there with your hostile gaze."

"London and Tori don't need anymore hurt in their lives."