CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Mum rocks Paris who's happily hanging in her arms. I look over the content of the baby bag, then to Paris. Her hand flails in the air and her gaze drifts around the room.

Something feels wrong, but I can't put my finger on it. Everything is in the bag, there's plenty of tinned formula and breast milk in the fridge, so what am I missing?

Blake squeezes my shoulder and tugs me to the door. I swat his hands away and move closer to Paris. I stroke her cheek and kiss her forehead. She's so little, how can I leave her alone?

He wraps his arms around my waist and drags me away.

"Paris is in good hands, so please stop stressing about everything."

"Something doesn't feel right, Blake."

One arm unwraps from my waist and grabs my hand. He squeezes my fingers and kisses my exposed shoulder blade.

"How about you go away for the weekend, enjoy some downtime, and I'll stay here with them?"

"We're going away for the night, even if I have to drag you into the car."

"Please, Blake." I grumble.

"If we've missed something, they have the spare keys to our house. Plus, there's all the things at Mum's and there's the shopping centre. There's no reason to be worried."

"How about the fact we're leaving our newborn daughter alone for a whole night?"

"The only thing wrong in that sentence is that we're only going away for a night."

"You could have taken the weekend." Mum chuckles. "You can still have the entire weekend."

"There's no way we can leave you with her for the entire weekend." I shake my head.

"She's excited to spend time with her granddaughter, so don't stress about it."

"We're her parents, though. I feel guilty leaving her alone for so long."

Blake tugs me to his chest and squeezes me.

"We're only going away for the night, not abandoning her. We need a break and a good night's rest, otherwise we'll be no good for her."

"You're right, and I hate that," I grumble.

"Kiss her goodbye and let's go. We've got a long drive ahead of us."

We kiss Paris goodbye and I reluctantly allow Blake to drag me out of the house. My heart aches and my hands shake, but I climb into the car and settle into the seat. Blake leans into the car and kisses my cheek.

"Lighten up, we're going to have so much fun!"

"I know, I know." I sigh.

Blake closes the door and I buckle my seatbelt.