CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Chapter Twenty-Eight

London races around in her pink and purple princess costume. I was apprehensive about attending a birthday party for a child we've never met, but Blake insists we go since the girls from daycare will probably be Lo's friends in school.

"Come here, princess." I wave her over.

Her plastic shoes click as she bounds over. I place London on the dining room chair and inspect my makeup bag. I apply a soft pink blush to her cheeks along with a light purple eyeshadow which sparkles under the lights.

"What do you think?" I hold up a mirror and grin.

"Oh." Lo beams with excitement. "I love it."

She grabs the makeup bag and peers into the muddled mess. She digs through the content and produces the glitter brush.

"Are you sure you want to wear glitter? Do you remember the last time you wore it?"

The smile widens as she holds it out for me. With a sigh, I uncap it and brush the glitter across her chest. Her blue eyes go wide and she shakes with excitement.

"Do I have to wear the tights?" Blake moans.

He stumbles into the family room, tugging on the pale tights.

"No, but I think they look good on you." I smile.

Blake places his hand on my shoulder and kisses my head. I grab his arm and brush glitter on his arm. He holds out the other arm and I raise an eyebrow.

"Aren't you worried about wearing glitter?"

Blake shrugs his shoulders and sighs.

"The second they told me she was a girl, I knew this day would come."

"Welp, I love and hate that."

"Since we're having another little girl, I better work on my doll playing skills." He chuckles.

I rub my belly and pout.

"She could love boy-ish things. Just because she's a girl, doesn't mean she'll be like London."

"Just as long as she's like her mother." He winks.

"How can I stay mad when you make comments like that?"

Blake winks which makes me glare.

"Can we leave for the party now?" Blake smiles.

"Uh, sure."

"Yay," Lo cheers.

We gather our things and head to the door.

* * * * *

My stomach knots and my heart races as the awkward minutes trickle past. Blake races around the yard with the girls following. I stare at the other women, and they look back. I've never been good at making friends, and it's a surprise I have the ones I do.