CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Charlotte sprawls her things across the dining room table and plonks onto the chair. Kyle wanders into the lounge room and places a couple of boxes on the ground and retreats to the front door.

"Where are your speakers? We need some good music to get us through this."

"On the bench somewhere or it could be in the junk drawer." I smile.

"Probably in the drawer then." She chuckles.

Charlotte rummages through the drawer while Kyle lugs more boxes into the lounge room. I grab a washing basket from the laundry and plonk onto the chair.

Boxes cover the room and pop music thuds from the speakers. I'm tired just looking at the boxes; I should have waited for Blake.

"Do you want some help sorting through these?" Kyle raises an eyebrow.

"Um." I sigh. "No, but thank you."

London wanders out of the hallway and rubs her eyes.

"Uncle Kyle." She smiles.

"Taking London outside would be much appreciated, though."

"Do you want to play outside?" Kyle grins.

Lo quickly nods, a smile spreading across her lips. She races down the hallway and appears with a pair of shoes.

Kyle swoops London into the air and screams with delight. He twirls her around and charges outside. London's dangled in the air by her arms and placed on the ground. I'd love to play, but these boxes aren't going to sort themselves.

Taking a deep breath, I open a box and dump the content onto the ground. London's baby clothing tumbles onto the ground and I sigh. I toss the older clothes into the box to be donated and nice ones into the washing basket.

There's boxes filled with blankets and toys, and eventually, Ivan's clothes turn up. I hold up a tiny blue jumpsuit and sink into the chair. He would have been adorable in this. 'I love my dad' is written on the centre of it.

I toss the jumpsuit into the box for storage and continue. Anything gender neutral is tossed into the washing basket, the rest for storage.

London and Kyle wander into the house, cheeks bright red. She swings Kyle's hand and she leads him into the kitchen.

Kyle pours drinks and London brings it into the lounge room. I upend another box of London's clothing and take a deep breathe.

"Thank you so much." I grin.

I take a sip and slide the cup onto the table. She sits beside me and rests her warm head against my arm.

"What are you doing?"