CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

London bounds into the lounge room with a bright smile. Her blonde hair sways over her shoulder as she leaps onto my lap. She straddles my knees and grins. I poke her tummy and she erupts with laughter. I stick her sides and she crashes into my chest.

"What are we going to do today?" I smile.

Lo bats my hands away and inhales a deep breath; her cheeks bright red.

"Can we play with something?"

"Of course we can! Should we go outside and water the garden, go swimming, paint, draw or play with your unicorns?"

"Can we please paint unicorns?" She beams with happiness.

"Sounds like a plan! We could make pictures for your grandparents."

"Can I have the glitter?"

"Hm, I'll think about that."

"I promise I won't drop it."

"Still thinking." I poke her side.

Lo rests on my chest and peeks up, her blue eyes shimmering with happiness. I kiss the top of her head and sigh.

"I'll sprinkle the glitter onto the page, how about that?"

"Okay." She nods.

"Should we paint outside or inside?"

"Hm!" She ponders. "Outside and maybe I can use the glitter?"

"We'll see."

The doorbell rings and I swing London under my arm and haul her down the hallway. Her legs flail as giggles erupt.

I hoist her up and she opens the door. Tori smiles and London waves.

"Hi baby." She waves.

"We're going to paint unicorns today."

"It's a good thing I bought you this then." Tori holds up a stuffed purple unicorn with pink and white glittery hair.

"I love it so much," she squeals.

Blake wanders out of the bedroom and I sigh. He hooks his arm around my waist and squeezes my side.

"I promise to be good," he whispers.

"Hi Blake." Tori looks at the ground.

"Can we talk?"

"Oh okay."

"We'll set the painting up outside and you can join us when you're ready." I smile.

"Thanks, Ava."

Tori passes the unicorn to Lo, and she nuzzles it to her chest.

I place Lo on the ground and she skips into the living room. I wander to the laundry and gather the painting equipment from the cupboard.