CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Paris wraps her fingers around my index finger, and my heart swoons. I brush my thumb over her tiny fingers, then over her soft cheeks. I don't think I'll ever get over how adorable she is, or that feeling like my heart will explode.

Blake wanders into the room and crouches beside us. He strokes her forehead, then kisses it. He rests his head against my shoulder and his stubble tickles my arm.

"I wish I could slow down time because she's growing up too fast."

"I'm with you on that." I chuckle.

Light sweeps down the hallway as London appears in the doorway. She peers over the unicorn and sniffles. Lo wipes her tears away with the back of her hand.

He opens his arms and London collides into his chest. Blake squeezes her from side to side.

"What's wrong, baby girl?"

She buries her face in his chest and he kisses her head.

"There's a-a-" She sobs. "There was a monster in my dream, and now he's hiding under my bed. I told him to go away like you do, but he said no."

He scoops London into the air and pats her back.

"Well then, it's a good thing Daddy knows how to scare those monsters away." He grins.

Blake squeezes my shoulder, then carries Lo out of the room.

"Go away monster, you're not welcome here."

"Oh, he's gone now." Lo gasps.

"Now you don't have anything to be worried about."

"Can you please read me a story?"

"Mm, I'll read one story, not three or four."

"Oh okay."

I shake my head and chuckle. There's no way he's getting out with one story, he never does with the tricks she pulls..

Once she's done feeding, I slide my shirt down and place her on my knee. I pat her back until a burp surfaces. She jumps which makes me laugh. I kiss her cheek and snuggle her to my chest.

"You're so funny sometimes."

I sit her on my knees and her eyes roam around the room. Vomit drools down her chin and I wipe it away with the burp cloth. I place Paris on the change mat and swaddle her back up into a tight bean. I nestle her in my arms and rock her back to sleep.

When she's fast asleep in the cot, I grab the monitor and sneak away. I poke my head into Lo's room and smile at the pair.

London's curled into Blake's side, her eyes drooping as Blake flips through the pages.

"Once the prince had defeated the dragon, he took the princess her castle where she was reunited with her family. The end."

Blake snaps the book shut and places it on the side table. He slides to the side and props a pillow to where his body used to be. London snuggles into the pillow and softly snores. Blake pulls the blanket up and kisses her forehead.