CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

London swirls the paint brush along the page and cheerily grins. A light blue trail winds across the page and bursts through the pastel purple line. She drops the paint brush and slides her index finger through the cool paint.

"Please use the paintbrush, Lo." I sigh.

Her wide blue eyes flicker to mine and she pouts.

"But Mummy, I like running my fingers through the paint." Her bottom lip droops lower, just like my will to persuade her to use the paintbrush.

I grimace at the mess it'll make, but I sigh and nod my head. Working on her fine motor skills is better than watching whatever unicorn show she begged for.

"Fine, but you're going straight inside once you're done playing with the paint."

"Yay," she cheers. "Thank you."

London slides her fingers through the pale yellow paint and grins at me.

"Is it cold between your fingers?" I chuckle.

London nods as she squishes her fingers. She presses her hand on the page and it sticks. Lo waves her hand, but the paper just flaps through the air and she pouts.

"Come here." I wave her closer.

She holds her hand out and I peel the page away and place it on the grass.

"Can I mix the colours?" She smiles.

"What colour does pink and yellow make?"

Lo tilts her head to the side and shrugs her shoulders.

"We're about to find out then." I giggle.

She wiggles her fingers into the pink paint and bits of orange form as the paint mixes. Lo drags her fingertips across the grass and bits of paint stick to it.

"Keep the paint on the page, missy."

London giggles as she reaches for another blank page. More paint covers the pages, then the brush, and before I know it, she's covered in paint.

"How do you have so much paint on you? I don't remember putting that much in the containers." I sigh.

Lo brushes hair out of her face, which means more paint on her skin.

"I wonder what colour the bath is going to turn."

She grins and I can't help but smile.

"I love you so much, even when you're covered in paint."

The door slides open and Blake's boots clonk against the wooden deck. London leaps up and races across the grass. As she reaches the stairs, Blake crouches down and gasps.