CHAPTER THIRTY ━ DIEGO... I'M FLATTERED

(chapter thirty.) diego... im flattered
❝ SHUT THE HELL UP. ❞

 ❞

POET WALKED UP THE STAIRS AND LOOKED AROUND THE hallway to remember where Diego's room was at. But she immediately started heading towards the room where angry grunts were heard and large footsteps were stomping on the floor angrily. The woman came upon Diego mumbling curses under his breath while holding his leg, clearly hitting himself with something and triggering his anger even more.

"You sneak up on a person like that," he spoke without looking at her, "you're gonna end up dead. If you sneak up like that to me, a knife would've been headed towards your head."

"I don't see the knife anywhere," the brunette smiled at him and Diego shook his head, staring down at the floor before staring right back at her with those dark eyes of his that daunted her. They found themselves staring at each other before she looked away, awkwardness building in her. "You're really going soft for me? Diego... I'm flattered."

"Shut the hell up," Diego grumbled, turning around so his back was facing her. "What are you doing here? Trying to stop me from killing those two?" She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off. "It doesn't take someone to read your mind to know that that is why you came here because you came here for that, right?"

"Diego," Poet spoke softly before clearing her throat, "I'm alive. I don't need you to go killing these people just because they hurt me. But I escaped them. I'm... well. I feel okay. You don't need to avenge me simply because of what happened to me."

"They hurt you!" Diego said in a loud tone, stepping closer to her. She looked up at him and his hand reached up to touch her cheek, but quickly realizing what he was about to do, he dropped his hand back to his side. She stared at him and he saw her eyes looking deep into his eyes as if she was searching for something. "Don't read my mind."

"I can't help it, Diego," Poet mumbled, crossing her arms. "I can still hear your thoughts right now. A slight mumble at first but it gets clearer." She looks up at him again as she was previously staring at the floor that he was just stomping on like an angry child. "Please... don't go after them. Please. What happens if the two kill you? Your siblings would lose another brother and I couldn't bear see you as a spirit and be reminded that you died to avenge me."

"I've been in more dangerous situations than this one, sweets," he whispered to her, stepping closer to her. She felt her breath hitch in her throat at the proximity between them again. Chest to chest. She felt shivers run down her arms, unaware that that was happening until Diego placed his hand on her forearms. She gulped and they both separated.

"If you say so," Poet said, sighing. She looked at Diego, who was already staring at her. She motioned to his bed. "Can I... just lay down?"

"Go ahead."

She did as she wanted, crossing her ankles and crossing her arms. She inhaled and exhaled from her nose, closing her eyes and wandering to the world of nightmares before anyone could snap their fingers.

"Ah, shit," Diego mumbled, trying to tie his shoes. He looked over his shoulder to look at Poet. "Can you... help me...?"

He scoffed quietly with a small smile, turning around to tie his shoe for himself. But just in a matter of seconds, Klaus appears with Paris eating next to him, a rope around his shoulder.

"Hey," Klaus said in a soft tone.

"Hey," Diego said back, "You, uh... you mind?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah, sure. I'll... I'll tie that up," Klaus grabbed the rope, throwing it to Diego. "If you tie me up after."

"Come again?"

Diego looked at the rope, his eyes averting towards the younger Capulet that was heading towards his sleeping aunt, the boy's hand placing itself on his aunt's forehead. Diego looked away, wanting to question the boy after questioning his own brother.

"You know," Klaus started, "last time I was sober was that roaring good time when those freaks had me tied me up in the motel room."

"Wow," Diego simply said with a smile on his lips. "You are one twisted bonehead."

"Why? You're the one who's always like, "Klaus, you need to get sober, bro"," Klaus reminded him, glancing towards Paris, who was flinching as his hand was on his aunt's forehead.

"There's better ways to get clean, bro."

"Not for me, no," Klaus gulped, "I need someone to take away my options."

"Fine."

"Okay, thank you," Klaus sighed in relief. "It was either you help me or I was going to ask Poet if she could do me the favor of replacing these bad memories and helping me calm down-"

"You're not asking her to help you anymore," Diego cut him off with a stern voice that caused Klaus and Paris to stare at each other. "She's already gone through enough shit. Now, can you help me?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"What were you doing to your aunt, kid?" Diego questioned the boy.

"She tends to have nightmares every time she sleeps," Paris replied. "Which is a reason on why she doesn't sleep for days and results in her getting weak when she uses her powers too much. My aunt takes your nightmares away, but no one does that for her. When she manages to fall asleep, I give her a sense of calmness and comfort but I can't take the bad dreams away as she can."

"What was the highest amount of days she couldn't sleep?" Klaus asked.

"A week," Paris winced while answering. Diego rubbed his forehead. "She remembers every little thing from her past life, it haunts her to this day."

"She's gonna kill herself if she keeps doing that."

"Poor Poet."