CHAPTER FIVE ━ THE RING

(𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎.) 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆
❝ YOUR FINGERS ARE GLOWING. ❞

🌂

🌂

Poet and Paris patiently waited—on the second day after Five had left—outside on the front porch of their house for any ty. They stared at their neighbors and watched kids throwing toys at each other while hiding, squealing and screaming.

"God, even as kids their thoughts so loud," Poet winced, closing her eyes while the tip of her fingers placed themselves on her temple. Her fingers flowed their natural scarlet color without meaning to, and Paris immediately looked around to make sure no one was watching.

"What's wrong? Your fingers are glowing," he pointed out, voice hushed while he and the woman headed inside. Poet shrugged and felt her fingers shaking.

"I-I don't know what's happening," she breathed out, sitting on a chair. "This never happens at all. I'm usually good at controlling my powers but it's as if my-my powers are going haywire."

"Aunt Poet," Paris started, placing a hand on her arm. He felt his own heart quicken and he backed away. "You're having a panic attack."

"What?" Poet questioned in a loud tone. "I-I haven't had one of those in a while."

"You're gonna have to ground yourself, Aunt Poet," Paris explained, filling a cup with water and ignoring the things that were starting to levitate because of her.

"Okay, okay," Poet nodded. "I remember some lessons from Dr. Hernandez."

Dr. Hernandez, Poet remembered, was a doctor that worked for her parents. Because of the constant killing and the fact that they never went out of the house and were locked in their rooms, Poet and Julian were checked on by the doctors who worked there when their parents weren't home. One of the doctors, Dr. Hernandez, had given the twins some pointers on what to do just in case they suffered a panic attack.

"First," Paris started, rushing over to the couch to stop it from levitating, "remind yourself of who you are now."

"My name is Poet Capulet," Poet breathed out, breathing in and out, "and I am 31-years-old. I am in my dining room, in my home, in Dallas, Texas. I-I woke up early today, around 6 in the morning. I had a shower and me and Paris took a stroll. We just finished eating dinner, which consisted of ribs and some mash potatoes. Soon I'm going to take another shower, change into my pjs, make some popcorn, and watch a movie with Paris."

At hearing her erratic breathing calming down, Paris gave her the cold drink he had on his hand. Poet grabbed the cup and drank it, feeling her heartbeat slow down, and Paris sped to grab the things that were levitating and were now starting to fall.