Chapter 22 A Spy

*Bakugou POV*

"So" Nanami started. "How do we get out of here without getting busted?"

"No clue" I confessed.

"Uh. Say what now?"

"I never said I knew how to sneak out!" I growled.

I keep my hands in my pockets as we continued along the southern wall of the building.

"But, I'm guessing our best bet will be using the emergency exit tunnels underground." I shrugged.

"Sounds good" She gave a small nod in agreement.

What the hell am I doing? This is so much more trouble than its worth!

I can still back out. I told myself.

Although I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I glance towards her, and our eyes lock. Im also pretty sure I held my breath.

She gave me a small smile as she pulled her silky hair into a tight pony tail.

She looks like shes ready to get serious.

A half smile tries curling my lips, but I hide any trace of it.

Annoyed by my own commentary I abruptly look away and let out a tired groan.

"This way!" I snapped as I open the door to the basement stairs. "The exit is just a little further ahead"

We continue in silence the rest of the way, being careful not to run into anyone.

She's been real quiet. I realized.

Before I have a chance to ask what her plan was, once we got out; she asked.

"Why are you helping me?"

Her question surprised me, but I didn't show it. I simply continued walking as I considered my answer. "Does it matter?"

"It does to me" She countered.

The way she said this made me wish I had seen the expression on her face. She didn't sound sad, happy, or mad.

She sounds... Worried?

I didn't have an answer shed want to hear, so instead I replied "Why I do or don't do something is none of your business! I do what I want and that's all you need to know!"

"Besides!" I spin and stomp towards her.

Anyone else would have backed away from me, but not you.

"You shouldn't waste your time wondering why people do things, there is no point" I concluded before I turn back down the tunnel.

She remained quiet, but kept her pace behind me in the tunnel. I can now see the exit a few feet away.

"What if..." She started.

Her voice suddenly taking on a more persuasive tone.

"What if I told you, I really am a spy"

"And I've been sent by the league." She purred.

She doesn't even sound like the same girl anymore.

Now I do come to a complete stop, my body tense, my wide eyes fixed ahead.

"Maybe..."

"In order to keep my mom safe..." her foot steps ceased.

"I was ordered to bring you in..."