23. just one

I leave Newport at around six in the evening after my parents get there with the excuse of being exhausted which isn't a total lie. I am very tired but I also can't wait to be with Josh. I drive back to Portland and stop by my apartment to grab some clothes for work. Cassie isn't home so I'm in and out in a flash.

The anticipation of seeing Josh sends tingles down my stomach. Now that we finally had sex, my body aches for him even more. All I can hope is that this yearning is temporary. I just want to satisfy this feeling for now.

His apartment is in the third floor. I knock when I get there at around nine.

"Hey," I say with a shy smile when he opens it. He's wearing shorts with a white T-shirt. He looks so comfortable. He also looks tired.

"Hey." He grins opening the door wider for me. He grabs my hand as I walk past him and I look at him. "Thank you for coming."

I smile. "Of course."

"Sorry, it's still pretty empty here." He chuckles locking the door behind him.

I set my bag on the only couch he has and shrug. "I don't mind at all." I look at the living room. "Ooh, you have a balcony." I walk across the living room and slide open the door.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Some water, please," I say then step out in the balcony. It's dark outside. It faces a small park that is currently illuminated by the dim street lights. It's quiet and peaceful just the sound of a cricket hiding around somewhere.

Josh comes back a few minutes later and he hands me a water bottle. "Thank you," I say then take a sip and set it down next to me.

"Did you see your parents?" He asks me.

"Briefly." I laugh. "I might have been a bit too eager to come."

He grins at my words then puts his strong arms around me from behind. I smile because I love it when he holds me like this. I love feeling his body pressed against mine. I feel him press his lips against my shoulder and I wish there weren't any clothes in the way of feeling his lips on my skin. I was exhausted five minutes ago and I'm suddenly wide awake for Josh. It feels like my body is betraying me.

"How many women have you been with?" I ask him after a moment.

He chuckles. "What sort of question is that?"

I shrug. "Just want to know."

"I already told you there was just one."

I turn my head so I can look at him. "Even from before you left?"

"I'm sorry to disappoint you." He laughs. "I'm not the womanizer you think I am."

"That's so hard to believe." I tell him.

"Why's that?"

"Look in the mirror and you'll know."

It really is hard to believe that Josh has only ever been with one other woman. He's so kind and handsome and attractive. I'm sure most women take a second look at him when they pass him by the street.

"You forget I've spent the last eight years around men."

"Didn't you have free days?"

"We did but I didn't usually go out and mingle."

I turn around and he adjusts his arms around my waist. "What would you do?"

"Work out."

"You're sort of obsessed, aren't you?"