35. because of you

When I get to the hospital, things seem pretty tense between Brad and his parents. Both Clint and Brad are still in their yellow jackets and they have black smoke on part of their faces.

"Natalie, you're here," Louisa says as she hugs me. It looks like she's been crying.

"Of course," I say then pull away. "What happened? Is Josh alright?"

"Who told you he was here?" Brad asks standing next to Louisa.

"I did," Crystal says from behind me.

I ignore him and look at Louisa. "What happened?" I ask her again, eagerly.

"What happened is that Josh likes to pretend he's a superhero and can do it all," Brad says looking annoyed.

"Brad, that's enough," Clint says stepping up. He looks at me. "We were answering a call. The house was on fire so we went in to get everyone out. Josh was the last one as he had gone back to save the family's dog. Part of the upstairs floor collapsed on him before he made it out."

I put my fingers on my lips, feeling the blood drain from my face. "Oh my God. Is he alright?"

Clint nods. "Luckily, yes. Josh is a strong man and looks like he'll be walking away with a few scratches."

"It's a miracle," Louisa says with a sad smile. Poor her. She looks so worried. I can't imagine what she felt when they called her to tell her the news.

"Such an idiot." Brad shakes his head walking away.

Everyone ignores him so I decide to ignore him too. I can't believe how cruel he's being. He should be relieved nothing happened to his brother rather than having this ugly attitude. Plus, I'm still pissed at him for the little joke he pulled yesterday morning.

"I told you he was gonna be alright." Crystal whispers moments later after we sit down.

"I had to come," I say helpless.

She smiles. "I know."

"I'm glad you're alright," I say realizing that she was also answering that call. She's also wearing her uniform and there is black smoke on her neck and arms.

"So am I." She jokes squeezing my hand.

A few moments later, Louisa stands up and I look up and see Cassie walking up to her. She's wearing blue nursing scrubs. She looks so different. I didn't know she worked in this hospital. She says something to Louisa and Clint who nod attentively.

"She's been giving them updates," Crystal says quietly next to me. "She's on call and probably jumped on the opportunity to be Josh's nurse."

"Of course," I say feeling annoyed. None of this has been Cassie's fault from the start but everything that has happened has really made me dislike her.

Cassie looks at me and frowns as if saying "What are you doing here?" then she turns around and disappears down the hall with Clint and Louisa following behind.

"That's good," Crystal says next to me. "If he can see visitors, it means he's stable now."

I nod in agreement trying not to think about how Cassie is winning points with Josh's parents while spending time with Josh. I feel so impatient. I really need to see him and talk to him. It seems forever before Clint and Louisa come back and I stand up involuntarily. Thankfully, Crystal stands up with me. She always has my back.

"Is he okay?" I ask them.

Louisa nods. "A few bruises but he seems to be doing okay."

"Will it be alright if I see him?" I ask, thankful that Brad isn't in the room right now.