51. love is rare

I don't see Ezra until Wednesday of the following week. At first, I think that he's avoiding me but he explains that he's been busy at work that that he'll see me on Saturday for my birthday party.

I hope it's not awkward having both him and Josh on Saturday.

Josh and I talk over the phone every day of the week. Most of the time it's at night. We talk about everything. We talk about high school and reminisce about all the time we used to spend together. He tells me how Brad told him that he knew Josh liked me. I tell him about how I couldn't get our first kiss out of my head for the whole eight years. He tells me that he's kept a picture of me in his wallet since the moment he left for the military. I tell him about my classes and students. He tells me that Friday night will be his last shift at the fire station in Portland and he'll be starting in Newport the following Monday.

It feels like we could talk forever. It feels so good and so right talking to him. He makes me feel young. I'm seventeen years old again and this time, it's not Brad I'm thinking about it's him. Josh. I yearn for the day I get to feel his lips against mine again. I know I have to speak to Ezra soon. I don't want to give Josh the yes before clearing things up with Ezra. It'll have to be after the party. I don't want to be rude and disinvite him. We'll have a good time on Saturday as friends. It can be one last memory together.

Crystal arrives bright and early on Saturday morning.

"Oh my gosh!" She says as she hugs me tight. "I've missed you so much. Happy birthday!"

"Thank you! I've missed you too!" I say with a smile. Crystal hasn't changed a bit in the past year. She's gotten more toned, if anything. She looks amazing.

"Ready to party tonight?"

"I'm not getting drunk." I remind her. I've actually kept my promise to never get drunk again after what happened the last time I did get drunk.

"Doesn't having two boyfriends make you want to drink a bit?" she asks winking at me.

I roll my eyes at her. "It's not as cool as you think it is."

"Right. It must be exhausting to be flattered by two handsome men...again."

"You're worse than Savannah." I decide making her laugh.

"In all seriousness," she says grabbing my hand. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Okay," I say slowly. "What-?"

"Crystal!"

We both turn to look at Savannah as she smiles at Crystal before hugging her.

"Wow, you don't even hug me like that." I shake my head.

"Come here," She says pulling me into the group hug.

We all laugh like little girls then we begin to prep for the party. I guess I shouldn't call it a party considering it's not a lot of us coming. Crystal invited some of her friends but she agreed to keep it small and intimate. We prep some snacks then carry everything out to the beach. There is a spot where there is a wooden table. It's been there since I can remember and we claim it tonight.

We set the food on the table and begin to play music then just hang out until everyone arrives. It doesn't really feel like my birthday. I feel like birthdays become less special as we grow up but I really appreciate Savannah and Crystal doing this to celebrate it.

"Hey, look who it is," Crystal says nodding behind me. We're sitting on the table and I turn around and see Josh making his way towards us. Like all of us, he's barefoot as he walks on the sand. I turn around and roll my eyes at Crystal as Josh reaches us.