27.

Next day
Vida's pov
Winter break was over and today was the first day of back to school. I got ready and then Oscar dropped me off at school.

"Are you going to be okay?" Oscar asked me as he pulls up to the school drop off line

"Yeah." I grab my bag and get out of the car.

"If anything-"

"Don't hesitate to call, text and I'll be on the way." I finish his sentence in my best Oscar voice. "I'll be okay don't worry"

"Okay" he chuckles. "I love you, now go catch up with your friends" he says as he points to Ruby and Jamal who were entering school.

"I love you too, bye" I sped walked to Ruby and Jamal. "Hey loves" I tap their backpacks.

"Hey" The both say as they make room for me to walk in the middle. We see Cesar and Monse walk to the stairs so we catch up to them.

"It's a new year" Jamal breaks the silence

"And a new day" Monse adds.

"Finally we can get back to normal" Ruby sighs.

"Yea-" I was going to say something but I get interrupted by the football coach.

"Turner!"

"Yikes, whatcha do now" I tell Jamal.

"I'll fill you in later." Jamal the walls away with the coach.

During lunch
"Guys, I got eyes on me." Jamal panted.

"Now you know how it feels to be in a gang. You got to watch you back 24/7" I mutter.

"Me too. The post-shooting lookie-loos are out in full force." Ruby said. I gave him a confused face as I pointed the top of his shirt which was unbuttoned.

"Oh, Ruby!" A girl shouted which made Jamal jump and gasp. The girl pulled her phone out and took a picture of Ruby wound.

"Girl bye" I said as I pulled Ruby to our table.

"Thanks" the girl rolled her eyes and left.

"Did this bitch just- you know what I'm be the bigger person and not start shit" I say as I take a deep breath.

"Thank you Vida, I don't know how much longer I can be bullet boy. I just want to get back to normal" Ruby scoffs.

"Normal? Baby, you ain't never been normal. You got that special sauce flowing through your veins. And probably all over that juicy nalga!" Jasmine laughs as we give her a disgusted face. She's cool don't get me wrong but the shit she says, I shiver my body and she just call Ruby her baby? "Ruby said I could sit with y'all, so..." she stuck her tongue out.

"Shoot! I forgot dessert. Ruby said as he examined his plate.

"Oh, you sit. I got you. Sugar-free sweets for my super-sweet treat, coming right up!" Jasmine said in Ruby's face then left.

"Baby?" I scoff as we still down, there were only four benches so I shared one with ruby.

"Jealous?" Cesar did his little stupid smirk and I just gave him a sarcastic smile.

"Oh- um" Ruby stuttered and turned red. "I'm sorry! But ever since my brush with death, I made a bargain with the big man. Or woman? Let's just say the universe to be gender- neutral. But part of that deal was to work on my karmic energy, be a better person, so shit wouldn't go sideways again. Part of that deal is doing charity and jasmine is my charity."

"Couldn't you have saved a rain forest instead?" Monse asked as she opened her milk carton.

"see? I knew this would be an issue." Ruby began but got interrupted by Jamal.

"speaking of commitment, we need to make one. What are we gonna do with the cheddar? We need a plan of action ASAP"

"Oh yeah what's up with that?" I ask.

"first thing after school, all-hands meeting, then I'll explain to you everything Life."

"Life?" Ruby interrupted Jamal.

"Jealous?" Cesar's annoying ass asked again.

"What? Isn't that her name" Jamal asked.

"Yes but in span- never mind" Ruby said.

"Okay like I was saying, this kind of gouda can get ripe real quick. And I'm not sure we can handle it if people start sniffing around."

"Cheesy." Ruby leaned in to Jamal. "But I like it." They fist pump.

"Yes!" Jamal pointed at Ruby.

"Right now, the money as is makes us targets. We need to move quickly to wash the cash so we can use the money and help Cesar survive." Monse said as she grabbed Cesar arm.

"Yes." Cesar talked with his mouth full.

"Que cute, but that isn't" I made a circle in the air with my finger around Cesar's mouth.

"Okay. So where are we meeting?" Jamal asked.

"My dad is coming home this afternoon" Monse stared at Cesar.

"Okay, so we can't do it at Monse's, my house is pretty tense post-dig debacle and twins never hosts. So, Ruby, its you." Jamal said.

"No, your mom doesn't want me around." Both me and Cesar said at the same time.

"Oh, my mom's got a job all week, so we're good." Ruby said as he put his arm around my shoulders and gave me a smile. "My house after school."

"All right."

"Cool."

"Sounds like a plan." I smile at Ruby and cuddled under his arm, then we began to eat our lunches.

" I smile at Ruby and cuddled under his arm, then we began to eat our lunches

^ something like this

Oh my god you guys this book is eligible for the Wattys!!! But I'm no where near done with this book 😕