C H A P T E R 20

Zac
"Yea. I saw it all. Just calm down, Nicky. I'm almost there. Please, stop crying." I pacified Nichole over the phone. The news channels just broadcast whatever goddamn thing they see, without even getting their facts straight first.

We should have told Nichole about Blayze Walter, then maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Even Xander isn't picking his phone. I wonder if he has heard the news yet. I hope he doesn't react like he did last time. The paparazzi are clearly making an issue out of nothing.

"Zac, please, help Claire. She gets a fit when she sees a crowd of people around her. Please, help her." I could hear her crying continuously.

"I promise you, Nick. I'll get your friend out. Safe and unharmed." I pulled over to the other side of her father's home and got down.

"Nicky, I'd have to call you back. I just arrived. I promise you that I'd get Claire back. Calm down. Just relax. I promise everything's gonna be alright."

I assured her and hung up. And just then, the cops arrived.

"Hi, Mr. Peterson. We came immediately after your call for assistance."

"Yes, thank you so much, Inspector. Please get the paparazzi away. They are harassing the Winston's. I mean Reynolds's in-laws." I replied and shook hands with him.

"Of course, sir. That's why we are here." He replied and they immediately went over and started dispersing the media away. Well, now I need to find Claire.

☆▪☆☆▪☆☆☆▪☆☆☆☆▪☆☆☆☆☆▪☆>>

I've been checking around for quite some time now and I can't seem to find her anywhere. I desperately look around and somehow my eyes land on a shadowy figure in a corner.

I move towards the corner and there she is. Even if I don't know anything about her, I can't forget how she refused to dance with me at the wedding.

She was clearly playing hard to get by giving me attitude but right now, she looks so sacred and vulnerable. She is squatting yet trying to use her hands to hide her face. She is trembling so much. I move closer to her and squat down beside her.

"Feeling scared, huh?" I say trying to make a joke, but I regret it immediately because when she looked up, her eyes were bloodshot from all the crying.

When she saw me, it looked as though she had seen a monster and tried to move away but when she realized who I was, she moved closer and did something I never expected.

She hugged me tightly and began sobbing profusely. I found myself putting my arms around her and trying to calm her down
.
"Shhhh... stop crying. Calm down. What's wrong?"

She didn't respond and I felt her tight hold around my neck loosen but she didn't pull away. She stopped crying as well and I pulled her out of my embrace, and I tried to talk to her, only to realize that she had passed out.

"Claire! Claire, wake up! Claire.?!" I kept calling and I lifted her up in my arms bridal style and made my way towards the door.

As I moved towards the door, I couldn't help but take in her features as to how beautiful and innocent she looked in her unconscious form.

She looked vulnerable too and it got me wondering why she's got fear of being around so many people. I'll definitely find out.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Nichole

"She's regaining consciousness." Micky exclaimed excitedly causing a bright smile to appear on my face.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and tears of happiness rolled down my eyes. I was so happy. If anything had happened to her, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.

I love Claire alot and although she isn't the best at expressing herself, I know she loves me too, maybe much more.

Even though she's only a few months older than I am, she took responsibility at a very young age. After mum left, I used to cry a lot. It was Claire and dad that raised me to be the independent woman I am today even though I'm still as stubborn.

"Claire!" I exclaimed finally after everyone hugged her and wrapped her in a tight embrace. I could feel her smile but as soon as I pulled away, her face was void of emotions and she said what she always says in situations like this.

"Your hugs are gonna be the death of me and besides, you know that
... "

"I hate tears." Micky, dad and I completed her sentence as we all burst into laughter. We are so used to hearing her say the same line. She probably doesn't even realize it yet but every time we get emotional like this, she says the same thing.

Zac, who was unaware of our usual daily little family drama was looking at us with a gentle smile on his face. I guess it's just natural that when you see a lot of people laugh, you join in as well.

I got up and gave him a light hug. "Thank you so much, Zac. You've really helped us a lot. I'm sorry you had to come here suddenly. "

"C'mon Nick. Don't be so formal. I'm your brother -in-law, remember?"

I chuckled and he smiled back.