zero

nine years ago 

"Sasuke-kun!"

The girl who cried out sobbed, falling to the ground as glistening tears began to fall rapidly. She clutched the chest, wishing that she could stop crying, but for some reason, she couldn't. 

The street she was on that was so busy, felt so quiet and empty to her. Maybe it was the fact that all sound had been drowned out. Maybe it was because no matter how hard she cried, nobody would comfort her. 

Ever.

The pain of hearbreak clutched her throat, and she had to gasp in order to breathe. The oxygen she was breathing in so easily a minute ago seemed to take all her effort just to simply bring it to her lungs. 

She was hyperventilating.

Panic settled in, and she cried even more, which was the exact opposite of what she wanted. She wanted to stop crying. She told herself over and over, 'you're just going to look like some heartsick fool in front of him, crying like a baby.'

But she was a heartsick fool for him. She loved him with her heart and soul, yet he didn't even acknowledge all her efforts throughout her high school years. What could she possible do to earn his love?

'You're annoying.'

His words echoed throughout her mind, loud as a car horn and as constant as her heartbeat. Her wet droplets erupted even more frequently from her eyes, and bigger in size. They rolled down her pale cheeks and onto the gravel road, washing away the cigarrette butts with pools of her own water. 

It made her so sad to think that was all he thought of her. While she loved him. But now? This girl had changed. She loved him for him, yet he chose a gold digger over her. She felt hurt in ever way possible. 

She despised him. She knew it wasn't her choice to choose whom he loved, but still. She had loved him so much, genuinely liking his personality and his sarcasm while other would find him an asshole because of that. 

And what did she get in return?

Insults, public humiliation, laughter, teasing, and what hurt most of all was...

Rejection.