eighteen

S.H 

"Sakura!"

The addressed person smiled as she watched two of her best friends (Hinata and Ino) run up to her and Sasuke. She smiled even more when she saw the look of surprise on their face. The boys came running to them as well, all of them shocked.

"No way," whispered Hinata. "I-I can't believe it."

"Did you know the truth?" Sakura asked Hinata and Ino. They both nodded.

"We only found out just then," Ino explained. "Shikamaru told us because he thought something was up. Can't believe the asshole I was mad at for all of these years was actually the victim."

Shikamaru flashed a grin, "I suspected. You two had been gone for so long."

"Finally," grumbled Neji. "I'm sick and tired of Sasuke moping around because of his love life issues.

"Tell me about it," Naruto chimed in. "Now, are you two going to have a date-"

"D-Date?" blinked Sakura. "Oh no, Naruto, everyone, we're not dating."

With the exception of Sakura and Sasuke, everyone there collectively sighed mentally in disappointment. Sasuke continued, "We're just friends."

Sakura did not like the look all of her and Sasuke's friends were giving to each other. 

"Ne, Sasuke, Sakura," Naruto nudged the two. "Why don't we all hang out as a big group for once? Everyone in this circle here, oh, and Tenten and Temari of course."

"That's a good idea," agreed Sai. "Seeing as your problems have always stopped these hangouts."

Mikoto Uchiha suddenly interrupted their conversation as she walked up to them. She seemed absolutely dazzling tonight, with an all-black theme. Her hair was curled into French rolls and she wore a bright smile. Her ballroom dress was a simple, off-the-shoulder design with only one sleeve. "Sorry to interrupt, but the main dancing is starting now."

"So?" Sasuke muttered.

"You're the brother of the groom, you need to be dancing. And, I think it would be a great chance to take your partner on a twirl," Mikoto winked at Sakura, leaving the latter's cheeks pink. Without waiting for Sasuke's answer, she grabbed both Sakura and Sasuke's hands and lead them to the dance floor. 

It was pretty much empty except for Itachi and Izumi. Most people were just watching the dances, including the Uchiha elders. Despite Sasuke's protesting, Mikoto turned the music on and focused the lighting onto them. 

Hearts beat fast

Sakura silently cursed. Why did it have to be a romance song? 

"Sorry about my mum," whispered Sasuke, blushing. He seemed stiff and awkward, and Sakura had no doubt believing that she was too. She heard some familiar laughter and teases, and to her dismay, the group was watching them two.

Colours and promises

"Sasuke," Sakura heard a whisper-shout from Naruto who drawled out the 'e'. "Lighten up."

"You too, Sakura," hissed Ino. "You're not cardboard. Remember what I taught you."

"They're really annoying," Sasuke shook his head, a hint of a smile on his lips. "So I guess we have to listen to them."

How to be brave?

He touched her hand before placing it on his shoulder, sending a tingle down Sakura. By the time Sasuke had finished rearranging their hands and their positions, Sakura was a blushing mess. She was grateful that most of the crowd were watching Itachi and Izumi instead of her.