thirty two

S.U 

"Sasuke, this is the room where you'll be tutored."

The teenager turned to scowl at the teacher talking to him. "Do I really have to be tutored?"

His teacher gave him a stern glare. "Young man, you've been flunking and falling asleep in all of your classes. Do I really need to answer that question?"

"But, I'm obviously the smartest in the class."

"Your exam scores don't show that," the teacher said primly. 

"Well then, make exams interesting."

The teacher frowned. "Watch your tone, young man."

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "Father must be paying you a lot to do this."

Not wanting to continue the conversation, Sasuke pushed open the door and into the empty classroom where he would be tutored, wondering which nerd will be tutoring him today. 

To his surprise, a pinkette by the name of Sakura Haruno sat there, bent over some inequality equations. He knew her. They had been in the same home room a couple of times, and Naruto used to have a childish crush on her. 

Sasuke took back what he thought earlier. Sakura wasn't a 'nerd'. Yeah, she had some of the highest test scores, but she didn't study 24/7. They never really quite conversed before, but he had of her through many people.

Karin and her squad always talked about how ugly and stupid she was. Naruto and Ino talked about how chill and cool she was. He decided to trust the latter opinion, for obvious reasons. 

"Sakura, this is the first student you'll be tutoring," the teachers introduced Sasuke, but she continued to pour over her work. "Any problems?"

She shook her head absent-mindedly, focusing fully on the equation in front of her.

"Alright, the next hour you can tutor him in this room. I'll be leaving now."

With a sigh, Sakura shut her math book. Without even glancing at him, she leaned back and closed her eyes. "Hi, my name is Sakura Haruno and you are-"

"Sasuke Uchiha."

Instantly, her eyes opened and widened in pure shock. Sasuke could only smirk at that.

Onyx met emerald.

Little did Sasuke know, from that moment on, his future changed.

That memory faded away, replaced by pitch black, which was quickly replaced by a flurry of short glimpses from his past.

"Some people actually want to be friends with you."

Green flowers compared to Sakura's eyes, him whispering "beautiful" to her surprise.

Defending Sakura from Karin Uzumaki, angry shouts and soft promises of marriages and honeymoons and all the cliché but romantic details in between.

Then cutting words that left Sakura sobbing in the middle of the street while he walked away hand in hand with the very person he defended her from.

Nine years later, and onyx met emerald yet again, time stopping for them.

Accidental admiration for each other after she tripped.

Hugs that made him feel special.

Standing for her against his father.

Saving her from that psychotic ex.