fourteen

S.H 

"...and that's about it," Sakura finished her story, stirring her hot chocolate. She glanced at her best friend. "What do you think I should do?"

It was straight after the wedding rehearsal, and both Sakura and Ino had made themselves cozy in the back corner of a nearby café. Cups of hot chocolate were in everyone's hands, along with muffins on plates. But they didn't come here just for the food. 

Sakura's emotions and feelings were quite mess after everything. So, of course, she would choose her best friend and sort of expert at relationships to rant about everything. 

"I think," Ino lowered her voice, and beckoned Sakura to come in before grabbing her ear. "You should've told your best friend everything earlier! My date with Sai happened ages ago, and to think there were three of you spying on me! But this isn't about me, it's about you. Sit down, sit down."

She sat back down with a slightly sore ear. Normally, Sakura would've fought back or thrown a punch, but today...she just felt deflated. Drained of all energy. Just tired. 

"From your actions, or rather lack, I know how you feel," Ino continued as though she had never shouted. "But, what's your problem? Everything seems to be going well with Sasuke!"

"That's the point," Sakura took a sip of the hot drink. "I don't want to get along with Sasuke. I never wanted to see him again in my life. And now he's here, and we're fighting one minute, then hugging the next and then ignoring each other - it's so confusing!"

"Then let me ask you a question," Ino leaned onto her propped up palm. "Do you hate Sasuke or not?"

"Yes," she said instantly, as if by instinct. He broke her heart. And then she though about how they hugged, how he stood up for her and trusted her. "No? I-I don't know." It could be part of another plot to treat you like trash, a voice in her head reminded him. "I don't like him. And why does this feel like a therapist session?"

"Because you asked for it? Anyways," Ino flicked her hair. "What are you planning to do for the wedding?"

"You're the one who should tell me," Sakura said, feeling slightly nervous at the mention of the wedding. "The reason why you're here is to advise me."

"That's besides the point," Ino huffed. Sakura raised an eyebrow knowingly and she hastily said, "I'm curious to see what you think you should do. And I feel like meddling too much in somebody's relationship is making that relationship fake."

"True," Sakura sighed. Ino had a point there. She stirred her drink some more as she thought about her options. "I guess  at the wedding I'll just avoid him and his gaze. We're not forced to interact or anything, so it'll be fine."

"But what do you want?" Ino asked. "To be with Sasuke, or leave him in the past?"

"I definitely want to leave that situation in the past," Sakura began slowly. "But I'm unsure whether or not to give him a chance again. I don't want to be with Sasuke. And I know that if we repair our relationship, I could fall for him again and he could leave me again. So...I think I want to leave him in the past."

"If that's what you want," Ino bit into a muffin. "But remember, Sakura, people can change. You know that better than anybody."

"You're right again," Sakura joined Ino in eating a muffin. "How about we don't talk about this Sasuke stuff and just eat? You have to tell me more about you and Sai. You're such a cute couple!"

"If you insist," Ino rolled her eyes playfully, but Sakura knew that the blond was more than happy to talk about her relationship. 

Unknown to both of the girls, a certain pineapple-head sitting in the corner recited every word of their conversation into his phone.