Not a Movie 68 - GENTLEMAN JACK (SEASONS 1 & 2)

Season 1:

And here we are, in this wonderful day and age where we get a show purely and wonderfully created just to honor this badass lesbian, Ms. Anne Lister. 

This show is not only interesting to watch because of it's well-shot scenes, but is based on a true story which is like the best thing for me, considering how I enjoy history so much. 

Anne Lister was a lesbian woman back in the 1800s and she kept journals for her everyday events. And in those journals, she also wrote about her lesbian lovers in a secret code language she had made up probably for secrecy. She lived in Halifax and was a landowner. 

And in this show, we'll see wonderful sides of her, and it is guaranteed that anyone and everyone will be able to fall for her quirky and intricate personality. And not just fall in love with her, but probably all the people in the show. 

I think, I'll probably rewatch the show after a week or two probably since I absolutely loved the ending, and it made me tear up a little with a wide smile on my face. So yeah...

Anyway, the link to the show in down below, I hope you peeps enjoy watching!

https://5movies.cloud/film/gentleman-jack-season-1-28491/watching.html?ep=1555843

https://w1.putlocker.to/series/gentleman-jack

Also, since I had a hard timing understanding the accents at some points, I'm also going to leave an english subtitles link here as well:

https://my-subs.com/showlistsubtitles-2957-gentleman-jack

Season 2:

And here we are again after all this time. I mean, the 2nd season was released a long time ago, but I procrastinated on it only because I did not hear good reviews about it. And oh, was I right in waiting. 

I've loved discovering Anne Lister's story and all about her adventures. She was an incredible person and as any other person - she too was as flawed as everyone comes. In the 2nd season, Anne and Ann's (Adney) story continue on, along with everything else which we were left hanging on in the 1st season. Not all of the loose ends were tied in this second and last season, but it was satisfying to know that some of them were. 

I felt as if the 1st season was just the tip of the iceberg and this season we are met with Anne Lister closer and more in her raw form. There are more situations where she showed a vulnerable side, and a more terrible side. Throughout the season, I felt as though she did not know how to handle her familial matters better. She did not seem to value the relationships she had either, with her seeming selfish and self-centered throughout most of the second season. And I didn't even know if I should feel bad for her or bad for her family. 

Spoilers Ahead

The matter of Marian - Anne's sister - was handled poorly by our leading lady. As being someone who could not be with the person she loved publicly, she was doing the same to her sister just because of the man's profession. And not to forget how she cheated on Adney, who loved her with all of her devotion. I felt frustrated continuously on how Anne treated Adney, as if she was an afterthought, considering how the woman gave up so many things just to be with her. Not introducing Adney to her friends, using her money for their travelling, manipulating the poor woman into staying with her, and so much more. 

Also Mariana Lawton being manipulative and horrible herself for getting into Anne Lister's head. Oh, now that was something that made my blood boil. Like, for someone as intelligent as Anne, she chose to do something so terrible and to the one woman who had willingly and trustingly devoted herself to her. 

The other thing that frustrated me was how Ann Walker was treated so poorly by her brother-in-law, who kept repeatedly attacking her. At one point, I wanted to punch the dude but that would be impossible so I just screamed curses at him through my screen, lol. 

 ***

But anyway, the show ended on a high note. It was underwhelming, but it was satisfying since Sally Wainwright did not only the show justice but also presenting the real Anne Lister's story justice. We all know - or the internet knows - of how Anne Lister died and how Ann Walker spent the rest of her life. Sadly, their life wasn't the happiest at most times, but fortunately, their life was the happiest some times. And I feel like that seems to be enough. 

If you peeps have seen the first season, I'd recommend watching the 2nd one to bring your mind to peace and to appreciate how the showrunners showed Anne Lister without correcting her flaws or anything. And I liked that about this show the most. Being true to the reality of it all. 

You may watch the show on HBO and from the below mentioned site. Hope you peeps enjoy!

https://theflixer.tv/tv/watch-gentleman-jack-full-22699