Chapter 18

The night phone conversations became a routine. You would retreat back into your room for hours talking to Namjoon on the phone. Whenever you mom past by, she would try to hear the conversation. She was scared that you two might be moving too fast but she rolled her eyes when she hears you two talking about things like bonsai gardens. Namjoon said he had been taking classes as a stress reliever and he said he'll bring you along to one of the classes. Just last week, he gave you a small bonsai that he had been taking care of. He names it Namu, which means tree in Korean and the nickname Japanese fans gave him. You thought it was cute.

"Do you think we can eat lunch together tomorrow?" he asked patiently. You couldn't see him but you picture him playing with his fingers and biting his lips while asking you.

"We always eat lunch together." you said.

"Pabo, you know what I mean. I want to eat lunch with you, face to face, and have normal conversations."

You sighed. Of course you wanted to sit with him and be near him. But every time you even glance at him, So Min would be around. You weren't scared for yourself, but you're terrified at what she would do to Tzuyu, or even to Namjoon and his group. You couldn't let that happen, not on your watch. "You know why we can't."

"But pretty much everyone knows I have eyes on you."

"Namjoon."

"It's pretty obvious when I always stare at you in class, or in the hallway. And for the most part, they seem fine with it."

"They're only fine with it in front of you. Behind your back, they want to murder me. I'm stealing their oppa."

"Ah, hearing you say that was nice." he giggled. "But you don't have to worry, I'll protect you. I promise. So please? Please, Galaxy?" he begged in a child's voice. It made your heart hurt.

"Alright, but we're going to eat in the courtyard where there are fewer people."

"Yay! Thank you, thank you!" he cheered. He was jumping up and down and his parents outside were very amused. You cupped your mouth with your hand to muffle your laugh.

"You're unbelievable." you said.

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, my Y/N."

"Shut up." you blushed. "I know."

"Let's go to sleep. The faster morning comes, the sooner I get to see you."

"You know we live across the street from each other, right? It's not that hard to see me-Wait, wait, no, I didn't mean it like that." It was too late, he had already hung up. You looked around frantically. Luckily, your mom had also gone back to her room and sleep. There was a quiet knock on the window and it made you jump. That boy ran fast. You hastily opened the window for him and was greeted with his dimples. He was out of breath.

"You're so beautiful." was the first thing that he said. The light in your room was dimmed so he couldn't see most of your face. But every detail of you was already ingrained in his mind.

"I can't believe you actually came over here."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because it's crazy!"

"It's not like you live 20 minutes away."

"So you wouldn't have run to my house if I live 20 minutes away?"

He flicked your head. "I don't think you understand the length I will take to get to you." He leaned his elbow on the windowsill and you moved closer to that your faces were a foot apart. He frowned and lifted your chin with his hand and moved it closer to his face. You closed your eyes, for some reason, expecting him to kiss you. He did, but not on the lips. He planted a small and gentle kiss on your forehead. "Go to sleep now. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you." He didn't wait for your response because he knew he wouldn't get one. He's not mad about that, a little disappointed, perhaps, but he respects your space.

"I love you too." you said to the empty space at the windowsill. Maybe one day you'll have enough courage to say it to him in person.

As promised, you sat with him at lunch. And that meant Tzuyu was sitting with Jungkook as well. Hoseok and Yoongi were also there, along with the Kim's and Jimin. "I didn't know you two were that close." you said to Taehyung. He shrugged.

"He's an alright guy. But I think I'm mainly here because Seokjin has a crush on Yoongi." he answered calmly. Your eyes widened as you looked at the two of them. You hadn't realized that they were sitting next to each other. Seokjin was telling some joke and Yoongi pretended to feel disgusted but then he would turn to the side and smile.

"It's great that you're finally having lunch with us." Hoseok said.

"Yeah, you should do that more often so that Moni hyung can shut up about you. You're great and all but if I hear any more of 'I wish Y/N was here' or 'I would feed this to Y/N' I think I will go crazy." Jungkook added.

"He's so dramatic even though you were always you two literally sat back to back from each other." Yoongi whined.

"Don't you hear him?" Jimin asked.

"Oh of course I do. I just let my embarrassment drown out the sentences." you said, giving him a playful shove. He was quiet and was eating up his smile. This was nice, being near him and being with your friends. This could be a regular thing. But just as you were enjoying it, you felt shivers running down your spine. By one of the corridors leading back to the school, you saw her leaning against a pillar, her arms crossed. It made your blood stop, the way she was staring at you. Her gaze then shifted to Tzuyu, it lingered for a few seconds and then she left. You let out a breath you didn't even know you've been holding.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Tzuyu asked. The words didn't come out so you nodded instead. Tzuyu returned with a smile, it was one you wanted to keep on her face.