Chapter 20

It was ready. It was finally ready. Namjoon spent weeks writing and his pencil has finally been placed down. He looked at the lyrics along with the melody on the computer and smile. It was perfect and it would make the day even more perfect. He had stayed up all night working on the song for the assembly later this afternoon. Tired was an understatement, but for you, he would do anything. He recorded the whole thing last night along with the rest of the boys. Jungkook had already asked Tzuyu and Jimin asked his girlfriend already. It was time for Namjoon to do it.

He got up early to go to school to talk to both the principal and the committee that was in charge of the assembly today. He would ask you to the dance then. It might be a little last minute but he decided that it was fine. Whenever you two talk at school or on the phone, the dance never came up. A part of you knew you would be going with him, it was natural, like clouds and rain. But he wanted to make it official, in front of everyone. It would be cheesy and would draw a lot of attention, but it was time that everyone knows who his heart belongs to.

Once he got to class, he was a few minutes late. Mr. Lee gave him an annoyed and intrigued look. "Care to explain why you were late, Mr. Kim?"

"Um, I was just talking to the principal. That's all." Namjoon answered.

"Well in order for me to sit in your seat, you need to do something for the rest of the class?"

Namjoon got nervous. "U-uh, okay. What is it?"

"Aegyo." one of the girls yelled out and collectively, everyone agreed, even Yoongi. Namjoon sighed loudly and began thinking. Everyone had pulled out their cellphones to record, including you. When his glance reached you, he pouted because of your betrayal. You laughed and shrugged. Without any other options, Namjoon did the gwiyomi dance. After he finish, he lowered his body to the ground and buried his face into his hands. The girls and Jungkook and Yoongi went wild, cringing but secretly loving every second of it. You took the video quietly to enjoy later.

At some point during the week, he had already moved back to sitting next to you. As he walked to the seat, his head was low out of embarrassment but he had a shy smile on from what you could see. You didn't want to stare too hard at him, but you could never help it. He naturally radiates the kind of warmth that welcomes anyone, especially you.

"Did you enjoy that?" he whispered.

"More than you'll know." you giggled. Classes were relatively short for the morning to accommodate for the assembly later on so you got through many of the periods before lunch. The group reassembled at the table. There was something strange in the atmosphere, they were all tensed and nervous. You asked Seulgi and Tzuyu what was wrong with their significant others but they both shrugged. It seemed that they had kept it a secret from everyone. The boys communicated with their eyes and sometimes they would giggle amongst each other, it was quite creepy. Seokjin was gazing at Yoongi as if he was the only person in the world.

"You're shaking." you told Namjoon. Since his shoulder was touching yours, you felt every movement of his body. Your voice gave him a shock and he jumped a little bit.

"S-shaking? What are you talking about? Ha ha." he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck. Jungkook saw signs and distracted you by starting to talk about the homework for the class. Namjoon patted him on the back secretly as thank you. Halfway through lunch, the boys excused themselves and left you, Tzuyu and Seulgi in confusion. Jennie was also there but it seemed like she knew something, so she continued sipping on her tea.

"Something is wrong with them." Tzuyu said.

"Something is always wrong with them." Seulgi countered. "Even before the other three showed up."

You nodded. "It was only natural that they find their ways to each other. Chaos and control." After lunch was the assembly and Jennie split from the group because she was the student council president and was in charge of MCing the event. Before she left, she told you, well more like demanded, to sit on the front row of the bleachers. It was weird but you did that anyways. There was still no sign of the boys, which was disappointing. You were hoping to sit near Namjoon since it might have drawn too much attention to sit next to him.

The assembly started, following the same formula. A speech from the principal, the sport teams would come out to promote themselves, some games, a dance from the cheer squad, and announcing royalty for the dance. When Lisa and her team came on for the dance, Hoseok couldn't take his eyes off of her from the waiting area. It wasn't hard to find her with the orange hair. Being the dance leader himself, it was innate for his eyes to follow her every movement, every body rolls, every facial expression. Hoseok has been hypnotized by Lalisa, as did everyone else in the room.

"Wow, that was awesome, thank you dance team!" Soyeon said, vice-president.

"Next up, before we announce royalties, we have a very very special treat for you guys." Jennie said, almost smirking. The fog machine came on."You know them as Hallyu next superstars, taking the world by storm. Rap, sing, dance, there's nothing they can't do." You got the tingling feeling in your fingers.

Soyeon continued. "You know them as the perfect four at our school. Talented in every way possible, but bet you didn't know they could sing. Putting the two worlds together is a dream come true."

"Oh my god." Tzuyu said.

"Are they talking about..." Seulgi began. The figures emerged from somewhere and everyone cheered loudly.

"They are." you finished. The spotlights fell on the seven heads and Namjoon immediately look at you, he had been doing that the whole time while waiting. He spoke into the mic.

"Hello everyone, this is RM. This is sorta our first collaboration and I'm thankful for the guys for helping me. This is call Home, I hope you all like it." He winked at you and the music began. Jimin started singing and Seulgi was in tears, then came Taehyung with his deep voice. The fangirls were screaming. Namjoon stepped up and started rapping. You moved to every beat in your seat. No matter how many time you hear his voice and his rap, they never fail to captivate you. Your cheer for him was the loudest. Jin and Jungkook sang their parts with voices of angels. It made Tzuyu melt. When the chorus came, Namjoon slyly pointed at you.

You know I want that

Home

You know you got that

Home

When the son came to an end, there was a moment of silence to take it all in, but then everyone jumped up from their seats and cheered. Some girls shouted out who they wanted to marry and of course Namjoon's name was mentioned. It bugged you only a little bit but he wasn't yours for the taking.

"I hope you all enjoyed that." Namjoon smiled. "But there's another reason for this song today." He took a deep breath before proceeding. "I left my house at a young age to chase after my dreams and that's where I am today. But there's still something that's missing. A home. I've been searching for a long time to find that feeling again and I think I found it. Or should I say, I've found her." Tzuyu was trying to hold in her giggle while you were too tensed to feel anything but nervousness. "There's a girl in this room that has given me that feeling, from the moment I saw her so many years ago, and when I see her now, that feeling is warmer. So I would like to take this opportunity to ask her to be my date to the dance."

The screams from the girls almost burst your ears. They were hoping it would be them, the girl he's asking even if they hadn't seen him in real life until the school started. He walked closer and closer to your section and the volume of the scream increased with each step. He stopped when he got right in front of you, there were sparkles in his eyes, maybe he was getting teary. He took your hands, he was really shaking this time. The crowd gasped but then not really because you've been eating lunch together for a few days now, but they can't help but be jealous.

"Y/N, will you be my date to the dance?" he asked, dimples showing and hopeful.

You opened your mouth but the words didn't come out. Then someone yelled "Say yes!" from the back. Tzuyu slapped your arm and you nodded right away. "Yes, I would be honored to." you said. He sighed out of relief and jumped up and down. He didn't hesitate to pull you in for a hug. You could feel glares coming from everywhere, but in his embrace, you felt utterly invincible.