Chapter 29

His smile turned into confusion when he saw you in front of his front door. It's not that he wasn't happy to see you, in fact, he was ecstatic. His parents call both you and your mom over for dinner, as a celebration of your relationship and to reconcile the friendship of the parents. You were wearing an appropriate winter dress, but your face was completely covered in sunglasses and the scarf covering everything else. Your mom was dressed in the exact same way.

"What's going on?" he asked.

You pulled scarf down, white cloud coming out as you answered. "Obviously I'm hiding my identity. This is what people do when they have to date in secret, right?"

Namjoon sighed and chuckled. "You watch way too many k-drama. Come in, please." He closed the door behind your mother and gave her a quick hug before going to you and kissing your cheek. His parents ventured to the front door to greet their longtime friend. There were tensions and hesitations in the air, both you and Namjoon felt that.

"Thank you for coming, Y/N's mom." his dad said. Your mom frowned a little bit and scoffed.

"C'mon, that's so formal. Just call me Minji." your mom laughed. The air seemed to have cleared up a bit. The two mothers were hugging and saying how sorry they are to each other. They understood the measures they needed to take for their child.

"Let's go eat, the food is getting cold." Namjoon said. Everyone moved to the dinner table, it was a feast. You sat next to your mother and Namjoon was across from you. Not his ideal seating chart but at least he'll get to look at you the entire time. The parents were mostly talking about their jobs.

"The food tastes really good, Chanhee." your mom commented.

"Thank you, Namjoon helped out a lot. He was researching recipes to impress you." his mom answered.

"Me? Why would he want to impress me? Shouldn't he be focusing on Y/N?"

"I'm sure the kid has his own reasoning, right son?" his dad patted him on the back, causing him to almost choke.

"Uh, yes ma'am." he stuttered. "I'm so thankful that you gave me a chance to love Y/N and I want to continuously show you how deeply I care for her. And when the time comes.." he trailed off, but your mom understood.

"You're already thinking about marriage with my daughter? That's a completely different story, young man." Namjoon's eyes grew like a puppy, his mouth forming into a small pout. "I'm just kidding, relax. Just don't kneel in front of my house in the snow again. People will think I'm abusing you." she laughed.

"I'm still really sorry about that. But for Y/N, I would do more." Namjoon looked right at you and smiled as if you were the only thing in this universe that could cause him to smile like this. It was contagious.

"Then you have my blessing, for now." your mom teased.

"Thank you, aunty." he grinned.

"Ahem." you coughed. Everyone turned to you. "I think you're forgetting a really important factor here. Whether I'd say yes or not."

"Would you?" Namjoon asked.

"I don't know yet. I'll have to find the right style of mask to match the dress." you laughed. There were some chuckles but Namjoon, for the most part, wasn't laughing. It must have struck the wrong chord for him. When dinner concluded, the adults stayed to clean up and ushered you two to go somewhere else while they reminiscent. So Namjoon took you to his room and showed you some music equipment that he set up. Usually, music would light up his eyes the way you do, but right now, he was more distant. You reached out to touch his arm, he didn't move.

"Joon, what's wrong?" you asked. "Are you mad at me?" He shook his head. His chest rose and sank, his face fixated on the wooden floor. You saw shadows under his eyes. Tonight, they looked like a void.

"What you said earlier, about the mask....I don't know, it made me feel angry."

"So you are mad at me." Your hand began to slip from his arm, but he caught your wrist and shook his head violently. "You know it was just a joke."

"I know. I'm not mad at you, I could never be." he said tenderly while stroking your cheek. "I'm mad that I have to hide us. I'm mad that I can't take you out in public freely. You said you're fine with everything, but I know you're also having a hard time with this just as much as I am."

You sighed. He's right, it was tough. At school now, you two can't be near each other, no more lunches, no more talking and laughing together, no more going home together. BigHit released a statement you two were childhood friends so no one would get suspicious, but that made it worse. Not a day went by that a girl didn't come up to you and ask you to introduce her to him. You always bit back the tears and told her it wasn't up to you. The only times you two could be together were late-nights on your patio when the rest of the world was asleep. "I'm okay, really." you reassured him. He saw through the fake smile and violently pulled you in for a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I wanted to give you the world." he whispered. There were light sniffles.

"Namjoon, you gave me you. And that's my world."

"Sometimes I'm scared that's not enough."

"A second with you is worth breathing for. You're always going to be enough for me. I should be the one who's worried about that. I'm just an ordinary girl dating the closest thing to perfection alive." you giggled.

"I'm only perfect because you're right by my side."

"Are we competing here on who can give the best compliment?"

"Maybe, and I won obviously." Before you could protest, he held your body and collapsed on the bed, feet still dangling off the edge. He closed his eyes and breathed in your scent.

"What if someone walks in?" you asked nervously, though most of the nervousness came from being on the same bed with him with zero space apart.

"Sshh, be quiet." he said, eyes still closed. This wasn't the first time, you used to take naps together after school in elementary. But that was before the feelings, the desire. Right now, all you wanted was to remain as close to him as possible. His body was warm, the inviting scent of him pulling you in deeper.

They say when you're laying down next to someone you love, you'll fall asleep faster. And that was definitely the case. Eventually someone did walk in, more like three people. They smiled and draped a blanket over you two.