six

Cordalia and Padmé were all but prepared for the debate in the Senate

Cordalia and Padmé were all but prepared for the debate in the Senate. "The chair recognizes the senator from the sovereign system of Naboo." Chancellor Valorum said as Palpatine led the pod towards the center.

"Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the Senate, a tragedy has occurred which started right here with the taxation of trade routes and has now engulfed our entire planet in the oppression of the Trade Federation." Palpatine told the Senators.

"This is outrageous! I object to the senator's statements." The senator from the Trade Federation exclaimed.

"The chair does not recognize the senator from the Trade Federation at this time." Chancellor Valorum snapped.

"To state our allegations, I present Queen Amidala and Chief Advisor Embara, recently elected rulers of the Naboo who speak on our behalf." Palpatime introduced as the two stood and approached the front of the pod.

"Honourable representatives of the Republic, we come to you under the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by the droid armies of the Trade-" Padmé was cut off by the Trade Federation's Senator.

"I object! There is no proof! This is incredible. We recommend a commission be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth." Another Senator agreed with the Trade Federation's suggestion.

"The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honourable delegate from the Trade Federation. A commission must be appointed."

"The point..." Valorum began but was cut off by his own staff.

"Enter the bureaucrats. The true rulers of the Republic. And on the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add." Palpatine told the two and Cordalia glowered at the Senator representing the Trade Federation. "This is where Chancellor Valorum's strength will disappear."

"The point is conceded." Valorum sighed heavily. "Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?"

"We will not defer." Cordalia exclaimed. "We've come before you to resolve this attack on our sovereignty now. We were not elected to watch our people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee." Cordalia looked to Padmé, who nodded. Cordalia glanced around at the other Senators. "If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed." Cordalia's tone softened. "I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership." An uproar followed her words and the Supreme Chancellor sunk down in his seat in shock.

"Now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue." Palpatine told the rulers of Naboo. Padmé and Cordalia left for their chambers to change into black gowns of mourning. The two looked out a window somberly.

"Yousa tinking yousa people ganna die?" Jar Jar interrupted the silence as he stood behind Cordalia and Padmé.

"I don't know." Cordalia answered.

"Gungans get pasted too, eh?"

"I hope not." Cordalia used a bland tone to get him to shut up.

"Gungans no die'n without a fight. Wesa warriors. Wesa got a grand army. Dat's why you no liken us, mesa tinks." Padmé and Cordalia looked at each other a thought forming in Cordalia's mind.

"Miladies? Miladies, Senator Palpatine has been nominated to succeed Valorum as Supreme Chancellor." Panaka told the two.

"A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Miladies, if I am elected, I promise to put an end to corruption." Palpatine assured the two.

"Who else has been nominated?" Padmé questioned.

"Bail Antilles of Alderaan and Ainlee Teem of Malastare." Panaka told her.

"I feel confident our situation will create a strong sympathy vote for us. I will be Chancellor." Palpatine said as Padmé turned away from him.

"I fear by the time you have control of the bureaucrats, Senator there'll be nothing left of our people, our way of life." Cordalia spoke softly before turning.

"I understand your concern, Milady. Unfortunately, the Federation has possession of our planet." Palpatine informed them. Cordalia turned to Padmé and she nodded.

"Senator, this is your arena. I feel we must return to ours." Cordalia spoke up.

"We've decided to go back to Naboo." Padmé replied.

"Go back? But, Miladies, be realistic. They'll force you to sign the treaty." Palpatine pleaded.

"We will sign no treaty, Senator. Our fate will be no different than that of our people." Padmé responded.

"Captain." Cordalia turned to Panaka.

"Milady."

"Ready our ship." Padmé and Cordalia turned to leave.

"Please, Miladies. Stay here where it's safe." Both rulers turned to face him.

"It is clear to us now that the Republic no longer functions. We pray you will bring sanity and compassion back to the senate." Padmé responded curtly before spinning on her heel Cordalia following closely behind. The two quickly changed into travel clothes.

The two strode up to Qui-Gon and Amalia who were speaking to Zarina and Anakin who looked saddened. "Miladies, it is our pleasure to continue to serve and protect you." Cordalia nodded at Qui-Gon's words.

"We welcome your help. Senator Palpatine fears that the Federation means to destroy us." The two walked up the ramp of the ship and into the throne room.

"I assure you we will not allow that to happen." Amalia responded.

"As soon as we land, the Federation will arrest you both and force you to sign the treaty." Panaka told Cordalia and Padmé.

"I agree. I'm not sure what you wish to accomplish by this." Corvus added.

"We will take back what's ours." Padmé kept her eyes on Corvus.

"There are too few of us, Miladies. We have no army." Panaka added.

"And we can only protect you. We can't fight a war for you." Amber piped up. Cordalia glanced at Padmé before speaking.

"Jar Jar Binks." Cordalia called out.

"Mesa, Milady?" Jar Jar pointed to himself, a shocked and confused look painted upon his face

"Yes. We need your help." Cordalia answered him, smiling softly at the extremely loud and clumsy Gungan.