10

Elliot slept in his car the night before he was getting processed. All he wanted to do was lay beside his wife and hold her for one last night, but he couldn't. He wouldn't be able to hold her for 13 weeks after he is processed.

He kept looking out of the moon roof as he watched as the stars twinkled. He closed his eyes and tried to just forget about what was making him sad, instead, he started to cry. He cried for nearly an hour because he couldn't stop thinking about Olivia being alone in Manhattan. How she had to attend all of her appointments without him there. How she wouldn't even have her parents there to support her because Melanie is in Jersey and Jason just hates that she married him.

Once the tears had dried, Elliot started to fall asleep. He didn't get in a deep enough sleep to sleep through the sound of his phone ringing. He quickly pulled it out of the cup holder before answering it quickly.

"Hey?" Elliot questioned.

"I know you want to sleep, but El... I'm having a hard time not crying. I miss you so much, and Adalee moved today and I really noticed it... I just want you here with me." Olivia sobbed into the phone. She was sitting on the front steps of his parents' house because she didn't want to wake up Bernie and Joseph.

"Honey, to start, I think that we need to stop calling each other. No more discussing how sad we are for being apart. Liv, this is going to be so much harder if we keep dwelling on being apart. So, please, please baby go to bed and just push through this. I will contact you as soon as I can." Elliot spoke, and he waited for Olivia to respond, but instead, her side of the phone went completely silent.

"Liv?" Elliot questioned, but then the phone beeping started. She had just hung up on him. Elliot was praying that they would make it 13 weeks without deciding to get a divorce.

|*|

The first month was the hardest for Elliot and Olivia. Elliot had to learn how to be a recruit, and he found it hard to follow the rules and directions sometimes. He had all of his hair buzzed off, and he hated that it had to be cut when he knew Olivia loved it so much.

He had to keep finding strength by looking at the picture of his wife and the sonogram of his little Adalee. He knew that he had to go through this to support his wife and daughter, and to prove to Olivia's father that he is a real man and not just some user. He planned on being the best father and husband as he possibly could.

Elliot wasn't as tired as he thought he would be, but he knew that it would just get harder and more intense as the weeks go on. He kept looking through his mail to see if he had gotten anything from Olivia, but instead, he got letters only from his parents and siblings. Olivia kept ignoring him, and he only wanted to hear from her.

For Olivia, the first month might have been the worst month of her life. Between the depression that had settled onto her life, to the fact that she had lost her job at the hospital already because she had a tiny meltdown after getting a message from her mother that told her that she was thinking about divorcing her father. Olivia was actively searching for a new job, but just like before, it was harder than it appeared.

|*|

During the second month, Elliot finally got a letter from Olivia. He was surprised when he saw the note from her because she seemed to be incredibly angry at him when they talked the night before he entered into basic training.

Elliot,

So your mother convinced me to write to you. To tell you how we have been doing. To start, I lost my job and am depressed. Between not having you here, losing the job, and my parents thinking about getting a divorce I've been in a very dark place. Adalee is good, and if you wanted me to lie to you... then I'm good too. I miss and love you, but I just can't see how this can work out for too much longer. Not having you here sucks ass, and knowing that there is still a month and a week left makes writing this harder... Uh, I don't know what else to write because I bet you are busy and don't want to waste your precious free time reading a letter from a girl who you left behind in Manhattan.

-Liv

Elliot stared at the letter in confusion, before folding it up and putting it on his pillow.

"Get a letter that was a break-up letter?" One of the fellow recruits asked as he noticed how down Elliot looked in this moment.

"Uh, if it was a break up letter I'm pretty sure it would be divorce papers... but it's my wife. She's having a hard time with me being away." Elliot frowned.

"You are barely 18, and you are already married?" He laughed, and Elliot frowned.

"It's difficult, man. We decided to get married after she almost lost our baby. We realized that we still were into each other. But like, she moved in with my parents and is just really missing me. I'm missing her too." Elliot breathed. He looked down at his wedding band before frowning.

He kept having to tell himself that he is doing this for Olivia and Adalee. If he stuck to it, he'd be able to provide for his family.

|*|

Olivia sat in her bedroom at home and just stared at the calendar on the wall in front of her. She had started to cross the days off before Family Day and Graduation, but the red x's didn't seem to really help count the days down. The days just kept getting longer and they seemed to never end.

"Gonna head to bed soon?" Bernie asked from the doorway of the bedroom.

"No, I think I'm gonna stay up. I want to keep looking for a job." Olivia sighed.

"About that..." Bernie trailed off.

"About what?" Olivia questioned quickly.

"The grief center needs a new secretary. We would train you there and then if everything went well you might be able to get some help with getting into college to become a counselor." Bernie breathed, and Olivia sighed softly.

"What if we move?" Olivia breathed.

"You will move, but it'll keep you occupied while you wait for these last five weeks to be done," Bernie spoke, and Olivia nodded.

"Thanks... I'll apply because you know that I need this."

"I miss my son, but I know that you miss him a hell of a lot more. So we will do anything and everything to help these weeks to go by faster."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D