44: Only Memories Now

Between the burns, infections, being blind, and having kidney and liver failure, Elliot didn't make it more than a week after the accident. Bernie wouldn't let Olivia in the room with Elliot, so she couldn't be there when her soulmate died. She didn't get to say goodbye or even hold his hand. Bernie was there and so was Joseph, but Olivia was no longer part of their family. She was considered the enemy because she was being real about the situation when everyone else thought that just a little bit of faith and Bernie's will would keep Elliot alive.

"Daddy is in heaven now, Adalee. He's happy up there and he isn't in pain anymore." Olivia spoke gently, as she caressed her daughter's hair. Olivia was laying in bed with her daughters and holding them close. Ainsley didn't even get to know her father which broke Olivia's heart.

"Why did Daddy have to die?" Adalee whimpered, as she held onto Ainsley's hand.

"God needed him, Addie. For now honey, we just need to remember him and love him even if he isn't here." Olivia spoke. She leaned down and kissed Adalee's hair before kissing Ainsley's.

"It's only going to be us from now on, Momma. No more siblings." Adalee whispered.

"Don't say that, Addie. We aren't as alone as you feel like we are. We still have Gran and Auntie Sierra. They love us and are going to come to live here with us so that we always have someone." Olivia spoke. She lifted Ainsley up and the baby gurgled and smiled.

"Why is she happy, Momma?" Adalee sobbed.

"She doesn't understand what happened, Addie. So don't be mad at her. We just have to stick together and everything will be okay."

|*|

The funeral was closed casket. No one deserved to be exposed to Elliot's condition. He was covered in so many burns that he didn't look like himself. And even if he had survived, he never would have looked normal again. He would have been scarred and wouldn't have his eyesight. He'd never be able to see his daughters again or the woman he had wanted to marry again.

Olivia went to the funeral with her mother, sister, and daughters. She kept her distance from Elliot's family, but she still sat up front. She was just as important to Elliot as anyone else because he had decided to start a family with her and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.

Ainsley sat on Olivia's lap and played with her mother's rings while Adalee sat on Serena's lap and cried quietly through the whole service. She had been crying almost all day as of late because she missed her father so much and hated that her beloved grandparents wouldn't even look at her or hold her anymore. Everyone was pushing Olivia away and they were also pushing away Ainsley and Adalee.

"Gran?" Adalee whispered after everyone had mumbled an amen.

"Yeah, darling?" Serena whispered back as Bernie moved up to the front to talk about her son.

"Why can't I talk about Daddy? He was my Daddy. He loved me." Adalee whimpered.

"Because you are just a little thing and don't need to be hurt more. Going up and talking about your Daddy can be incredibly hard." Serena replied.

"Please, Gran. Let me go." Adalee whimpered. She buried her head into her grandmother's chest and started to cry again as the priest asked if anyone else would like to talk about Elliot. Adalee pushed herself off of Serena's lap and walked up the stairs in front of her. Everyone looked at her in confusion as Olivia moved to grab her daughter.

"He's my Daddy and I miss him a lot. He was the best Daddy in the world and I wish he was still here. I love him." Adalee whimpered as Olivia moved Ainsley to her mother before standing and walking over to Adalee.