40

Adalee ate her breakfast quickly and had a hard time sitting still while her grandparents and father finished eating.

"Daddy, can we go now?" Adalee sighed, as Elliot got up to top off his coffee.

"Uh, Nah. I think you can wait a few more days until Momma and Ainsley are released." Elliot replied. Adalee stared her father down as tears welled in her bright blue eyes.

"Daddy, please. I just wanna see Momma." Adalee whimpered. She was just about to start sobbing when Elliot walked over to her and lifted her from her seat. He held her close as she snuggled into his embrace.

"I'm just teasing you, Addie. We are heading up to the hospital to see your Momma right now. Do you want to go get dressed?"

"Help me, Grandma!" Adalee cried. Bernie smiled as she stood and lifted her very excited granddaughter up before carrying her towards the stairs. Elliot sat back down to finish his coffee as his father closed his newspaper.

"I heard that we almost lost our girl?" Joseph asked, and Elliot kept his eyes on his mug but nodded.

"Yeah. She was bleeding pretty bad when they rushed her to the OR. But when I was finally able to see her, she had all her color back and she was talking about Ainsley and how adorable our kid is." Elliot smiled.

"I'm glad they made it, son. I know that you wouldn't be able to function if you lost either of them." Joseph replied.

"It's kinda scary to think that maybe next time we have a baby, Olivia won't be so lucky." Elliot frowned.

"Just don't think about that, Elliot. She's strong. She has made it through so much, and she won't be letting herself die before meeting her baby." 

"Thanks for watching Adalee. I know that she would have had a harder time waiting to meet her baby sister and to see Olivia if you weren't here. She loves you so much, Dad. More than she loves me." Elliot replied. Joseph shook his head as he stood.

"That little girl absolutely adores you, son. She has opened up so much since you got back together with Olivia. Now, do you want your mom and me to join you, or wait till later to meet our granddaughter?" Joseph asked.

"Follow us up, but I think that I want Adalee to meet her baby sister alone. Well, with only me and Liv."

"Sounds good."

|*|

Adalee held her Pooh Bear stuffed animal tightly to her chest as she held her father's hand with her free hand. Elliot kept glancing down at his daughter and smiling. This was a big deal. Becoming a big brother or sister changes everything, but Elliot knew that Adalee will be an amazing big sister to Ainsley Grace.

"So, Daddy... Ainsley is tiny and I have to be careful with her, right?" Adalee asked.

"Yeah. She's just a little baby, but she'll be ready to play with you in a year or so."

"Good." Adalee smiled. She grabbed her father's hand a little tighter before smiling at him.

"You aren't excited are you, Adalee?"

"I'm so excited to be a big sister, Daddy!" Adalee exclaimed.

Elliot lifted his daughter up and carried her the rest of the way because a few women were walking down the hall and he didn't want to get in their way. Elliot knocked lightly on his wife's hospital room's door, before stepping into the room. Adalee quickly looked her mother over before sighing.

"Where's my sister?" Adalee questioned. Olivia laughed softly before reaching her arms out to her daughter.

"She's sleeping in the nursery right now. But they will bring her down in a few minutes. I want to talk to you, honey. How was school?" Olivia questioned.

"I wish you would have told me that Ainsley was getting out of your belly." Adalee huffed. Olivia smoothed her daughter's hair before holding her close.

"I'm sorry. We did it for a good reason, Addie. We wanted you to make it through school without any problems."

"Momma, you have red stuff in your eyes," Adalee spoke, as she looked up at her mother.

"I know, I was trying hard to get Ainsley here to meet you, that I hurt my blood vessels in my eyes," Olivia replied. Adalee nodded before going to reach up and touch her mother's eyes, but Olivia stopped her.

"I was just trying to help."

"I know you were, Addie, but they have to heal by themselves. Now, do you think Daddy should go ask for them to bring Ainsley here?" Olivia asked, and Adalee nodded.

"I want to meet my baby sister so bad!"

|*|

Olivia held her daughters in her arms and watched as Adalee looked over baby sister over. She smiled when Ainsley yawned and when her little nose scrunched up.

"My nose does that, Momma." Adalee smiled.

"Your Momma's nose does that too." Elliot laughed softly. He gently caressed his wife's hair as she looked up at him.

"Okay, so it's a Benson thing. My mom's nose scrunches up like that too... but it just looks a lot cuter on Addie and Ainsley." Olivia breathed.

"When can you come home, Momma?" Adalee questioned, as Ainsley held on tightly to her big sister's finger.

"Ainsley and I are coming home on Thursday. So just two more days. Then we can all be together at home again."

"I don't want to make you sad, Momma... but you still love me even if you have Ainsley now? And I'm still your baby?" Adalee asked as she avoided her mother's eyes because she was scared that maybe she wasn't her parents' baby anymore because Ainsley is the youngest.

"Adalee, you are still and will always be our baby. You made us parents, baby girl. And we love you so freaking much that it hurts. We are so lucky to be parents to you and Ainsley." Elliot spoke, as Olivia pressed a gentle kiss to Adalee's hair.

"I'm gonna be a good big sister, Momma and Daddy. I promise." Adalee breathed.

"We know you will. You took care of me and Ainsley when Daddy was away." Olivia spoke. She hated bringing up Elliot being an ass, but it helped Adalee calm down a bit because it was clear she was a little nervous about having a baby sister.

"Yeah, I did a good job! Thanks, Momma." Adalee smiled before resting her head against her mother's shoulder as Ainsley continued to hold her finger.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D