Anna Smith- Illness (c)

It wasn't rare for a servant to become unwell. It was a rather frequent occurrence for that matter due to the fact that you were all working in close quarters to each other, germs spread very quickly amongst you. When you were told that Anna had been sent to bed sick with nothing more than a common cold, you were sad to think that it would quickly be passed between you and the others, possibly moving upstairs as well.

You finished your morning's work that you would usually complete alongside Anna, being the ladies maid for the three daughters with her- working more often with the youngest daughter Sybil more frequently than the other two. Once it had been completed you asked Mrs Patmore nicely to prepare some soup. She was hesitant to do so but quickly got to work on a simple and easy soup, having lunch to focus on for the Lord and Lady whom you worked for.

The soup was made and laid upon a small tray with a vase holding a single flower that you had picked from the small amount of flowers lining the outside of the servants quarters.

You hastily made your way up to the room of which you shared with Anna. Your hand rapped on the wooden door to allow Anna to know that you were there.

"Who is it?" She called out in a slightly weaker tone than that you were used to coming from her.

"Y/N. May I come in?" You called back.

You heard a gentle laugh coming from her although it fell in a broken fit of coughing.

"Of course."

Opening the door, you saw Anna lying in her bed in her night dress, her hair tied back messily and a handkerchief held to her mouth to catch the germs that escaped.

"It is your room, why would you think that it was necessary to knock?" She questioned.

You walked towards her placing the tray on her lap as she shuffled to sit up. She gave you a warm smile putting her handkerchief onto the bed by her side.

"I didn't want to barge in if you weren't decent, or I would have just left if you were sleeping," you explained moving a hand to place the reverse of it to her forehead. A gasp escaped your throat at the warm temperature that you felt. "You are burning up."

She continued to hold a weak smile on her face.

"I am fine. Do not worry," she croaked.

"Nonsense Anna. Dr Clarkson must be called at once. I do not think this could be a common cold, and there is no foul in concern," you said frantically.

"Please do not fret," she whispered.

"Oh but I must. You care for everyone too much, now is a time for someone else to be caring for you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.