Tom Branson- Car Trip (c)

You had wanted to go into town, and due to not great weather, your father had insisted on the chauffeur Tom driving you. You truly thought it was rather stupid seen as you were more than capable of going into town on your own without dragging one of the people whom had worked for you. It seemed stupid to you to have people working for you, but nevertheless that was the way your father wanted things meaning there was nothing you could do until you had sought out your own way of living.

Tom was a kindly Irish man, whom you did have an eye for. He was the sweetest person you had met and he knew how to follow what was in his heart. Even though your heart did yearn for him, you knew it could never be. He wouldn't be able to see you more than the stuck-up daughter of Lord Grantham. Even if he did it was unheard of and a shunned concept of a Lady to be with a chauffeur especially one that worked for her.

The day had gone well until you were to head back. Tom was driving down a country road, whilst you rested your eyes, the gentle bumping of the car lulling you to sleep, when a loud bang hit and the car stopped moving pushing you into the seat in front of you.

"My Lady," he called straightening him up in his seat. "My apologises, are you okay?"

Tom moved to try and assist you to sit back up. You were not injured or hurt so you were fine, and by the looks of it neither was tom but the grey smoke rising into the dark night indicated maybe the car wasn't so lucky.

"I am perfectly fine. What happened?" You inquired.

"I am not sure. I will check the bonnet my lady."

He hastily got out of the car to pop the bonnet. You opened the back door to follow him.

"What have I said? Please, it is Y/N, my title is unnecessary," you sighed.

You wanted to make it as level as possible between you and the people whom worked for your household. They were not less than you, if anything they were far more. They worked hard for far less than what you had whereas you were encouraged to do nothing and look pretty to gain more than you could have ever wanted.

"My L- I mean Y/N, stay in the car, it isn't right for a lady to be out in the dark, especially with the weather becoming foul," he said softly.

The rain had started just as you left town, and although it wasn't completely torrential it wasn't pleasant.

"If you are to bear this weather, so am I. Maybe I can help? It'd certainly be useful if you could use two hands, and I held the bonnet open?" You offered with a generous smile.

He went to argue but you had already held onto the bonnet allowing the grease that Tom had accidentally smudged on it to cover your hand. Tom rummaged with the mechanics that you couldn't make head nor tail of.

"We aren't going anywhere tonight. I cannot fix it without the proper tools. Hopefully someone else will pass by if not we will have to wait until morning and walk back to Downton. It would not be safe to leave you alone in the dark," he explained.

"I guess we shall have to rest in the car," you sighed not too fond of the idea but it could be worse.

You went and slid back into the back of the car whilst he opened the driver's door.

"Nonsense, get in the back. It is far too uncomfortable with the stirring wheel for you to get any rest there."

"That would be improper, my lady," he argued softly.

"I do not care Branson. I am not allowing you to sleep like that. Anyway, I am not tired, we could talk for a while, for someone I spend a lot of time with, we do not talk too frequently," you smiled gently.

Finally, he conceded and got into the car next to you, making sure to keep as much room between the two of you as he could, which although you knew was nonsense, it was the best that would occur at the given moment.

The two of you talked for a short while, not about much but you learnt more about him than you ever knew. His heart was far bigger than you knew and his mind was strong. If anything, your heart longed for him by far more. At this point he had shifted slightly closer, if he moved his hand a centimetre further it could touch your own and you hoped he would.

"I wish the rain would stop," he sighed looking out of the window.

"I don't mind it," you shrugged. "It is rather pleasant. The rain is more beautiful than I thought possible."

"It is beautiful. But not as beautiful as you."

Your eyes widened as your cheeks shone red in the darkness of the car. His kind words made your feelings worse. He was too kind to you, but you were sure he didn't mean it as more than an empty compliment.

"Oh... um... you are very handsome too," you smiled truthfully.

He looked lost in his mind for a moment.

"Can I kiss you?" As the words left his mouth he looked shocked.

Tom's eyes were wider and holding impossible levels of fear and uncertainty. The both of you knew it was not allowed for the two of you to be together but in the moment, you didn't care- neither of you cared.

"My Lady... I..." he started but you didn't give you opportunity to finish his sentence.

You moved your hand onto his, holding it softly as you leaned forward. Your lips moulded to his as though they were always meant to be together, as though they were the missing piece to the puzzle of your life. Everything about it was perfect, perfect until you were blinded by the headlights coming towards the car.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.