Tom Branson- Spanish Influenza (c)

Your nursemaid returned with a bassinet of cold water and a new wash cloth, placing it on your bedside. She was thanked by your husband Tom and dismissed. Tom dampened the cloth, moving it to wet your brow, attempting to sooth the fever that was taking its toll on you.

Spanish Influenza had covered Britain, many falling ill with it and a lot of them were starting to see the fatal affects of it. When visiting your father's estate, several people were showing symptoms of influenza, no one allowed to leave in fear that the illness would spread to others. You were meant to be isolated, as were everyone else with symptoms but Tom refused to leave your bedside.

Your father had never been a fan of your husband, he was the old chauffeur to the estate, but you loved him, and your father had to come to terms with that. He had told you not to return, but with your cousin becoming engaged, you wished to meet his fiancé but seen as she was the first to be put on bed rest, she was terribly ill.

"My Love," you whispered. "Please do not stay longer. The Influenza has been fatal to many and I cannot let that happen to you."

Tom shook his head, moving one hand to take yours, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"I am not leaving you," he assured. "I shall not leave your side until you are well. Even if I did leave you, I would not be welcomed by Lord Grantham, nor would he deem it fit for me to spend time in the servant's quarters."

You tried to offer him a smile, but your head was far too woozy for you to pretend to be happy.

"Do not fret about my father. He shall come around on us one day. Either way, his opinion does not matter," you whispered. "He is too preoccupied with everyone falling ill to care whether he approves of our marriage."

Tom gave you a weak smile, raising your knuckles to his lips. Even though you felt overwhelmed with fever and illness, you were more than glad to have your husband by your side, even if that meant he could catch the illness too.

"Please listen to me Tom," you said gently. "If I do not get through this, I have something I wish from you."

"Don't say such nonsense, you will be fine."

"I may not, my love. Many have already died, I do hope that I shall not lose this fight but if I do, I need to know everything is in order after my passing."

He was reluctant to agree but gestured for you to continue.

"Please do not give up on life or love. Find someone new after me, but please try to befriend my family. My father will come around at some point, but my mother and sisters already love you," you smiled weakly. "For me please make sure they are okay and let them make sure that you are okay too."

"I promise," he nodded. "I would do anything for you."

"I love you Tom," you whispered.

"I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by