Matthew Crawley- Rattle (c)

Going to the market in Downton was one of your favourite things in the world. There were so many marvellous things there that you struggled to believe that a single person's hands could have formed. Some of the truest beauties could be found there and as someone whom was well off, you enjoyed helping those whom needed it, especially if their craft should be far more appreciated than it actually would.

Commonly you bought things that maybe you didn't need but would be far too beautiful to not buy them. This time you found a beautifully crafted baby rattle, that you loved dearly and had to purchase it. Other than getting some food to fill the pantry, that was all you bought at the market before returning back to your home that you shared with your husband Matthew.

At home, you found Matthew sat at his writing desk, going over some legal papers that he needed to work on. You gave the food over to your cook before taking the rattle over to Matthew. You made your way behind him, to wrap your arms around him, pressing your lips to his cheek.

"Hello, my love," you smiled softly.

"Hello darling," he smiled in return. "How was the market?"

"Lovely as always," you said. "I found this."

You held the rattle in front of his face and shook it, allowing it to do its thing and make noise. Matthew seemed rather confused as to what made you buy a rattle, but it was your first hint to him for the news that you needed to give him. He didn't say anything, so you continued to shake the rattle in his face, hoping that he might get the message. This didn't happen. Rather he put up with the noise for a little while as you continued to shake it in front of his face until he finally had too much.

"If you wave that thing in front of me again, I'll snap it," He frowned, finally annoyed by your annoying noises.

A pout fell upon your lips as you moved around the desk, to sit opposite him.

"Why the hell did you buy a rattle?" He asked.

You gave him a playful smile, hoping that he would understand what you were talking about. It did take a moment, but a moment of realisation washed over her.

"Are you pregnant?" He asked.

You nodded your head excitedly. Almost a week ago, you had visited the doctor and found out the happy news, but you had to find a way to tell your husband.

Matthew jumped up from his seat, rushing around to you, to give you a tight hug, kissing you passionately too.

"I love you," he grinned.

"I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by