Matthew Crawley- Help (c)

You knocked against the door, opening it slightly to reveal the two men.

"Afternoon Miss Crawley," Moseley smiled gentled bowing his head.

"Afternoon. May I have a moment to speak to my brother?" You asked warmly taking a step into the room.

Moseley once again nodded his head leaving the room, closing the door behind him. Matthew pulled at his shirt to adjust the placement of his bowtie.

"And what do I owe the pleasure for the company of my younger sister?" He asked with a smirk turning to you.

"Can I not visit my brother without inquiry?" You said feigning offence from such an accusation.

He let out a soft laugh pulling on his suit jacket, buttoning the front and flattening the front so that there were no creases visible.

"I do not frown upon the fact that you have arrived. Quite apt timing if you ask me. If Moseley tries to treat me as thought I am not competent enough to dress myself once more I may become insane," he sighed not impressed with the fact that he had a personal valet.

"It is his job Matthew. He is supposed to help you dress. It will have to be something you come to terms with sooner or later if you are to be the heir to Lord Grantham's estate and fortune," you stated firmly having adjusted slightly better to the changes than your brother had.

He let out an unimpressed sigh.

"Frankly that isn't the point. A grown man should not have to work as a dresser for another man. If you cannot be capable of dressing yourself, how can you expect to do anything else?" He said gruffly.

You laughed gently, resting a light hand onto your brother's arm.

"That is nonsense and you know it to be such. Many families live happily without a maid or a cook, yet we have both, it can hardly be considered impossible for us to cook our own meals but we shall never be apart from them. Lord Grantham has the privilege to provide his family with a large number of staff, we cannot judge for that. Moseley may not seem a necessity to you, but do be polite, he has a job to do, and you cannot be so heartless as to dismiss him," you said softly.

Matthew gave you a sympathetic smile.

"I apologise for being so crass. I shall attempt to make his job seem necessary but I cannot be held responsible if he is to become bored waiting on me. I do not need help, but I shall feign the need," he said reluctantly as though it was for your benefit.

"Thank you Matthew. It may seem kind to not force work upon the man, however it is his job and he need not be dismissed when he is fully capable at doing so."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.