Edith Crawley- Jobs (c)

Your father had been friends with Lord Grantham for many years, so when he asked him if you could stay with them for a while, he was more than happy to let you stay. Whilst you stayed there, you had become close friends with his three daughters, specifically his middle child Edith. You had become close and fast friends, so when you saw her looking sad and annoyed in the gardens, you had to go and ask her what was wrong.

"Edith is everything okay?" You asked, taking a seat on the bench beside her.

"Yes," she lied.

"Don't lie to me Edith. What is bothering you?" You smiled softly, trying to reassure her.

She let out a sigh, looking you in the eyes. You could see that her eyes were filled with tears that were fighting to fall but her reddened cheeks showed that they may not be from sadness but rather from annoyance or anger.

"Father disapproves of me helping on the Drake family farm. It is unladylike for me to drive their tractor and help them supposedly. If I do not help, they cannot work their fields with the men off to war," she frowned. "Isn't it a noble pursuit to wish to help those in need?"

"It is Edith. You are from a noble family, it is expected that your father wouldn't want it known that his daughter is a farmhand. By no means do I agree with his perspective on this, we are in the midst of a war, women are taking control we've wanted for such a long time," you smiled softly.

"Father's thoughts are practically medieval. We are a country at war, it is hardly preposterous to suggest that women do the jobs our soldiers once did. If we are not allowed to go and fight in the trenches with our men, why shouldn't we do what is needed here at home," she sighed. "It is too close minded to suggest that England shall suffer when women could help."

You rested your hand on her arm, reassuringly. You hated seeing her like this, but she was from a noble family, working on a farm wasn't expected however it was admirable and made you want to do more.

"He will have to come to terms with it. Sybil is a nurse and you are a farmhand, it may not be something the two of you do forever however you are doing something that is needed with men at war. Your father may be annoyed but he loves you, so he wouldn't do anything but voice his concern," you said. "It'll be okay Edith."

"I do hope so."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.