Lavinia Swire- Worries (c)

You had grown up with Lavinia, due to your fathers having been colleagues and close friends. Through your childhood, a close friendship grew, and you loved Lavinia as though she were your sister. In recent years, you had drifted apart slightly though in moving to different areas of England, and just not having the means to contact each other. However recently Lavinia had moved into Downton, which was a mere twenty-minute car journey from your home.

You knew of her engagement to a Matthew Crawley and that she was living with him and his mother at Crawley House in Downton. It was tremendous news for you, and you quickly arranged to visit her.

When you arrived at Crawley House, the butler told you that Miss Swire was in the garden, so you made your way there with haste. Sat on one of the elegant benches sat your redheaded friend whom you had longed to see after so many years apart. As you grew closer, you couldn't see the chipper woman whom you had grown to befriend, instead it was a solemn looking woman, tears tricking down her cheeks for a reason unbeknownst to you.

You sped up your pace from seeing her tears, wanting to make sure she was okay, and to try and help her if you could.

"What ails you, Lavinia?" You questioned, concerned for what could bring a woman of such grace and beauty to tears.

Lavinia looked up at you, wiping her handkerchief under her eyes trying to rid her face from the tears she had wept although they were still there, unable to be removed as you had seen them fall before.

"Oh Y/N. How grand it is to see you. I am fine, nothing ails me, I am just being rather silly. There is no reason to concern yourself over the matter," she said attempting to fake a smile but you could look right through it.

No one was really their jolly and cheery self anymore. The war had begun and it was tearing everyone to pieces. You felt weak and destroyed by knowing so many men were dying out there, and you could have only assumed that Lavinia had to witness Matthew leaving to fight amongst them.

"Is it Matthew?" You asked. It was the only logical reason you could think of that would bring Lavinia to tears.

Instantly her eyes welled up once more allowing her to breakdown again, signifying that your guess was right.

"Is he okay? Did you receive word of him from the frontline?" You questioned.

It couldn't have been long since Matthew had joined the fight, however sometimes luck wasn't on your side and he may have ended his fight early.

"Oh no," she exclaimed. "I have heard no word. As far as I know he is fine, however I do fear he won't be for long. I don't know how to live in this limbo of the unknown. I do not know if he is safe or not, and that is what eats me the most."

You were not courting anyone so you didn't know the pain she faced but you certainly couldn't imagine it was pleasant.

"My apologies Lavinia, it cannot be easy," you whispered trying to show your sympathy to your friend.

"I love him, Y/N. I do not know what to do. He could have already passed for all I know. It is impossible to cope."

"Please calm yourself Lavinia. Matthew is surely a capable man, and I assure you he shall return to you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.