Matthew Crawley- Crash (c)

You coughed and spluttered as you raised your head, trying to make sense of everything that had just happened. You and your husband had been driving down a country lane when he swerved, and the car ended up crashing. All you could recall was the fear before blacking out. When you woke up you were sprawled out in the grass off of the road, pain all over and your visit slightly blurred. The worst pain came from your head. As you reached for it and lowered your hand again, you found blood covering your palm.

Not caring about your own injuries, you tried to look around to see where Matthew was. It took you longer than it should have to peer around you, trying not to pass out in dizziness. You noticed the car that was now overturned and smoking but you couldn't see your husband. You hoped desperately that he had managed to go and get help, but you had to make sure that he wasn't still in the wreckage.

You shakily got onto your feet and stumbled towards the damage, croakily calling out your husband's name.

"Y/N," you heard a weak response.

It took a lot of pain and effort, but you managed to get around the car to see your husband lying on the floor, his legs and half of his torso lost below the vehicle. You fell down to your knees in front of you, grasping his shaky hand.

"Matthew," you whispered. "You're going to be okay, my love."

He offered you a broken smile, blood coating his face and clumping his once blond hair.

"I love you," he said. "I love you with all of my heart."

"I love you too," you said with tears brimming in your eyes.

With a great struggle he pulled your hand to his lips, kissing it gently.

"Please tell my mother that I love her," he croaked. "I am going to miss you both dearly."

You frowned at him, trying to keep hope even though you knew deep down that this wasn't going to go very well.

"Don't talk like that Matthew," you whispered. "You cannot die. I won't let it happen."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry that it has come to this."

Tears streamed down your fast as you clung onto his hands, hoping that it would force him to hold on until someone could find you both and save you.

"Help will be here soon. Please just hold on. Please hold on for me."

"I love you Y/N."

With that his eyes closed and all that was left were your loud wails to ring out through the countryside.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.