Matthew Crawley- Birth: Part 1 (c)

For the past year you had lived at Downton Abbey with your husband Matthew Crawley. Your father wasn't impressed with your choice of husband as he was a duke whilst Matthew was the heir to the Earl of Grantham however with a lot of work he had conceded and given you his blessing. The two of you had a home in Wales that was being renovated for the two of you, but once you learnt of your pregnancy, the two of you decided to stay at Downton as there wouldn't be enough time to bring in enough servants to care for the soon to be three of you.

Your new home was now worked by servants, being visited by Matthews cousins or your siblings once in a while to make sure it was still habitable, and once your baby was to be born you would head there too. Dr Clarkson had been your physician for some time, so you trusted him to be the one to deliver your baby, so did not wish to stray too far from his home in Downton.

Tonight, was a rare occasion where your father had visited Downton Abbey and was to have dinner with your husband's family. He'd joined you once or twice however with your due date being around the corner, you were to head off to Wales soon and wouldn't see him nearly as often.

The starter had been served and it only made you long to stay at Downton. Ms Patmore's cooking was to die for and you couldn't imagine being many miles from her. If you thought you could, you'd have convinced her to join you, but you knew she was loyal to Lord Grantham.

For the past hour you had experienced contractions. They weren't overly frequent, and you were either alone or able to hide the fact they had occurred with dropping something and feigning shock or distracting anyone in the room with something else. You didn't wish to disturb the dinner and from seeing your sisters through their labour you were sure you had some time before it would become urgent.

However, you weren't so sure of the fact anymore. You were in a terrible discomfort and with the dampness that spread across the chair you were on, you were certain things had progressed far more.

Small talk encompassed the table with servants looking on. You didn't wish to make a fuss but were sure if there were reason to, now would be a good time. Looking around you wished to catch the eye of someone. Matthew was in a discussion with your father and Lord Grantham whilst Mrs Crawley, the Dowager Countess, Lady Grantham and her daughters shared a different discussion. Turning behind you, you caught the eye of Carson who recognised the panic in your eye.

"Are you okay, m'lady, you look rather faint," he questioned not moving from his spot.

"Please send my apologies to Ms Patmore, I do not believe I can eat anymore," you whispered.

Matthew turned to you, resting a hand gently on your shoulder.

"Are you okay my love?" He asked, everyone's attentions turning to the two of you.

"Yes... yes," you whispered, placing your napkin on the table, standing up. "I just think the baby may be on its way."

Your father jumped to his feet as did Mrs Crawley. Matthew wrapped an arm around you to support you.

"Lady Crawley," Thomas, the footman said. "You are bleeding."

You looked down the front of your dress to see it stained red.

"Carson call for Dr Clarkson at once," Mary demanded.

You clung onto Matthew, feeling rather faint. The fear in his eyes brought tears to yours.

"I love you Matthew," you whispered.

"I love you too," he smiled softly. "It is going to be okay, my love. I promise it will be okay."

Matthew's mother made her way to you to help support you.

You opened your mouth to say something, but all of your energy had drained. Your eyes closed as you lost consciousness in the arms of your husband. The last thing you saw was his terrified face as you succumbed to the darkness.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by