Sybil Crawley- New Lives (c)

Being stuck in your thoughts wasn't a common occurrence for a woman in your situation. There was little to nothing to think about. All decisions were made for you, you didn't even pick out your own clothing due to having a lady's maid that would do that for you. It felt like a pointless life to lead, with little to no reason to do anything due to just being expected to be a pretty face.

Your loss to thoughts was broken when a gentle hand rested onto your bare shoulder, making you jump slightly in your seat. Looking up you saw your older sister Sybil. You were one of four sisters, the youngest of the four with Sybil being next in age.

"Are you okay?" She smiled softly.

You loved all of your sisters, but being the closest in age and mindset you got along with Sybil a bit better. Her heart was pure and she only ever wanted to see the best in people along with do what was the most helpful for you and your sisters even if it was at her expense.

"Yes," you said with a fake almost impossible smile.

Lying wasn't what you wanted to do to your sister but the truth would just be worse. You hoped she'd understand where your mind was drifting but you feared if she didn't.

"Do not lie to me, Y/N," she frowned, sitting down opposite you. "What is on your mind?"

You hesitated for a moment, not wanting to tell her but knowing if she did agree with you, she could help you.

"I just worry that all I am good for is marrying to add to Fathers status. I do not want to do nothing for my life, I want a purpose," you sighed, closing your eyes tight, not wishing to see the disapproving look on your sister's face.

Her hand rested on top of yours giving it a gentle squeeze. You opened your eyes to see her loving look.

"What do you wish from your life?" She asked softly.

"I want a job, maybe a teacher. Expand the minds of the youth and do something good. I do not care if I shall never be married, but if I am, I want it to be for love, not for the sake of status. I couldn't care less if I were no longer a Lady, I just wish more than this life," you said weakly not wanting to seem ungrateful for the life you had been born into. You understood your privilege, you understood that many people would die to be you, but you didn't want that life, you wanted to work for your money not just be given it because of your parent's status.

Your sister held a sweet smile on her face. A smile that you loved to see.

"Believe in your dreams," she smiled giving your hand another squeeze. "And don't let anyone tell you that you can't reach them. If they do, show them you can."

Quickly your smile mirrored that of Sybil's.

"Do you really think I can do it? I don't know if I can though. We've had everything laid out for us but I am scared that it will never be different, I will never have a life to live."

"I wish for something so similar. I love Mother and Father, and I love the life we have but I want to work, be part of the community. I want love and a family that I can work for," she said softly. "Although it seems impossible now, we can do it. We can make the lives we wish for."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.