Matthew Crawley- Birth: Part 2 (c)

Light flooded into your eyes as you came too. You thought to see where you were, but everything was a haze. Voices surrounded you, but you couldn't tell who's voices they were.

You forced your eyes open to see your bedroom at Downton. It was a familiar and warm sight to see, something you never believed you would see again.

"She's awake," A voice called. "Matthew she's awake."

You recognised the voice as that of Sybil's, the youngest daughter of Lord and Lady Grantham. Loud footsteps followed as you felt someone grasp hold of your hand.

"Y/N," Matthew whispered.

As everything became clear you could see the four people around you. Your husband was stood by your side, grasping your hand tightly in his. He still wore the suit he had on last night, but his jacket was off, and his shirt wasn't full buttoned nor tucked in.

"Matthew," You smiled softly.

With him stood Sybil. Her hair was a mess and she no longer wore the gown she had on at dinner, wearing what seemed to be her nursing uniform. Beside her was Matthew's mother, Isobel who wore similar garments, along with Dr Clarkson whom seemed rather tired like the other three.

"I told you it would be all okay," he smiled, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

"The baby," you croaked.

All you remembered was bleeding and then passing out. You could only hope the baby had survived, you didn't know what you'd do if it didn't.

Isobel turned away from the group, picking up something from the small basinet that your father had bought as a gift for his unborn grandchild. She approached you, gently placing the blanket into your arm. As you looked closer, a small baby slept inside. They were at peace.

"Congratulations, you have a daughter," Isobel smiled.

"A daughter?" You smiled uncontrollably at Matthew.

"She is a fighter," Dr Clarkson stated. "it surprised us all that she made it. You have a very strong daughter."

You couldn't help the tears that brimmed your eyes. Matthew had already stated to cry.

"What is wrong my love?" You smiled softly.

"I couldn't bare to live in a world without you in it, my love," he whispered, pressing another kiss to your forehead and then to your daughters.

You turned back towards Dr Clarkson. "What happened? I can't remember anything."

"There were complications. We had to operate on you to save both you and the baby. You lost a fair amount of blood and it didn't look good however I see no issues with your recovery. It will be a long recovery, and I must advise you remain on bed rest for a couple of weeks however your daughter will be fine. I know you wished to travel to your new home soon, but I would advice staying here in Downton, so I can check on you until you have healed, whilst Lady Sybil and Mrs Crawley have both agreed to care for you whilst I am not here," He explained.

You smiled weakly. "Thank you. Thank you all three of you. I'd rather stay at Downton and know my daughter and I are safe than go anywhere else."

Matthew held you close as you both watcher your daughter sleep in your arms.

"I would advice you rest Y/N, however I do believe there are a few people whom would like to wish you both well beforehand," Isobel smiled softly.

With that the doors were opened, for your relatives to meet the newest addition to the family.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by