Mary Crawley- Unlawful (c)

Running a brush through her hair, you attempted to remove any knots that had been gained throughout the day with the tight perfectly looking hairstyle that you had done for her this morning. You did love your job, it was relaxing to do Mary's hair, granted the rest of your job wasn't as relaxing.

"I do wish I did not have to marry him," she sighed looking in the mirror so that you good look into her reflections eyes.

"My apologises Milady, I wish there were something I could do to help you with this," you said softly.

Mary was your closest friend, granted the woman you worked for also. You hated to see her suffer, and marrying a man she did not love was certainly one way she would suffer, as well as force you to suffer not that you could mention that.

She moved her hand to rest onto yours that you had placed on her shoulder to reassure her.

"It's not your fault, Y/N," she said gently. "You cannot control this."

"I know," you whispered. "It just feels hopeless if love no longer constitutes marriage."

Mary laughed mellifluously, giving your hand a gentle squeeze.

"It is a dark time for love. Speaking of which, anyone special in your life?"

Your cheeks became red as she asked the question. You looked down to attempt to hide that factor as you didn't want her to know the truth of whom it was that held your heart.

"There is," she smiled joyously. "Whom is it? Do they work here?"

"It doesn't matter milady, nothing can ever come from it," you said sadly at the realisation that it was impossible to be happy with the person you cared for ever so dearly.

Her expression mirrored yours, equally as solemn.

"I understand Y/N. Although Mr Crawley does not hold my heart, it doesn't mean no one does. However it is unlawful, and not just due to me being betrothed to another," she sighed sadly.

"You love a woman?" You asked, wondering what other factors may hold an unlawful factor to her love other than the fact that no one would ever allow a woman to marry another woman.

She nodded her head.

"So do I."

Mary rose from her seat, making you take a step back so that she could walk around it to stand in front of you. You held your breath, not sure why she wanted to stand so close and look so longingly into your eyes. You weren't complaining, you rather enjoyed it, but you knew that wasn't something you should enjoy.

"I love you, Y/N. However I know that can never come to be. Nothing can come from it. But I am glad to have you still in my life," she said softly, moving her hand to cup your cheek.

"I love you too," you whispered hoarsely.

You knew truthfully nothing would ever come from it but you couldn't help how your heart felt.

Her eyes drifted down to your parted lips. Neither of you were able to hold in your emotions anymore, allowing your lips to press gently to each other's.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.