Mary Crawley- Chores (c)

You were a maid at Downton, having taken often roles as a lady's maid to the three daughters of Lord Grantham, meaning you had become close friends with the daughters. You were the same age as the oldest daughter Mary, and although your worlds were practically opposite you did care for her as a sister and wanted the best for her.

The duties of a maid were never fun. You guessed it wasn't too bad when you had company but making beds and dusting shelves wasn't enjoyable, it wasn't something you would volunteer to do. However, the pay wasn't bad and Lord and Lady Grantham cared a lot for their workers a lot more than most employers.

You were attempting to strip Lady Mary's bed, but it wasn't the easiest of jobs. It generally took two maids to do, but Anna was given a day's break to spend with Mr Bates as they rarely got it and the workload was lower than usual with nothing overly important coming up anytime soon. You promised Anna that you would be fine but you knew that wasn't the case now. You tugged at the sheets to get the off, having to climb over the bedframe and mattress to actually get to the other edge of the sheet.

As you pulled at the sheet, with pillows and covers sprawled around you and over the floor, the door swung open. Quickly you jumped to your feet trying to straighten out your dress and pinafore to look presentable for Lady Mary who had entered her room.

"My Lady..." you said trying to catch your breath from your laborious work. "My apologies. I did not think you would be back so soon."

"Do not fret Y/N. I came back early as I wanted to ask you for a favour," she smiled softly, a look you rarely saw unless she wanted something which from her asking for a favour, you knew that she did.

"Of course, milady. What can I do for you?"

She looked towards the sheets and pillows thrown everywhere, closing the door gently behind her.

"I wished to ask for you to teach me this," she said gesturing to the mess.

"Teach you what milady?"

"How to make a bed," she whispered almost inaudible. "With Sybil being a nurse now and Edith learning to drive, I cannot help but feel I do not have any skills for life. It would be useful if I were to have something useful I knew."

Shaking your head, you know that her father, Lord Grantham, would throw a fit if he knew. He didn't approve of Edith or Sybil's pursuits at first and even now he wasn't overly fond, let alone the daughter who was heir to his estate with her husband learning common duties of a maid.

"Milady, I cannot. This is work for common folk, us maids do this for you, a Lady should not be seen making a bed," you said softly.

"Please Y/N. I consider you a friend. And I know it is pathetic work to have not learnt a simple chore such as making a bed, but you do look like you could use a hand."

You were hesitant but you reluctantly agreed seen as you needed help even if it was from one of the Lady's whom you worked for. It took longer than if it were being done by two maids but Mary and you did end up making the bed successfully. Mary's face was sweat coated and she looked rather tired after doing the chore.

"That was harder than I had anticipated, I have taken your job for granted for too long," she said softly, her voice almost guilt laden.

"It gets easier the more you try, but thank you for helping me."

"Anytime. I do still wish to learn to do chores. My father will not be pleased but Matthew was shocked by the estate having so many staff, it wouldn't be a harm to learn to live for myself rather than be helped to do everything," she shrugged.

"I will happily help milady, as long as my job is not at risk with your father."

"Of course not. I shall insist to him it was my idea, as it was, your job shall not be risked for helping me."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.