William Mason- Piano (c)

It was getting late and your Lady's made Anna had already helped you into your night dress but you needed to ask her about if she knew were the gown for the ball tomorrow night was, if not you'd have to think of something else or borrow something from one of your sisters. It wasn't overly common for the people of the house to enter the servant's quarters but it wasn't unheard of. As you made your way into the room, you heard the most beautiful music you had ever heard before.

The piano's tune melted your ears with bliss, every note of it bringing you joy and relaxation You weren't a massive fan of music, and you somewhat enjoyed the music you listened to at the formal balls held in your home, but this blew all of it out of the water. Following the sound, you ignored what you had entered the servant's quarters for originally.

You knew there was a piano in the servants dining room, but you had never heard that any of the servants enjoyed playing it, or had ever used it. Sat before the ivory keys was William, one of the footman that worked for your household, whom you got along with rather well.

Listening to the beautiful music, you didn't realise that you had moved the door slightly, emitting a loud creak, stopping him from playing. William had turned around looking rather aghast and terrified to see you stood there. He hastily rose from the bench trying to flatten his shirt to look presentable.

"Milady," he said trying to clear his throat. "I didn't notice you there. My apologies."

"No reason to apologise William. You are a very good pianist. I never knew you played," you smiled warmly.

"I... I didn't want to bother anyone with that," he shrugged. "It's not the best."

You shook your head approaching him.

"Nonsense. You are the best I have ever heard. I am sure if I asked father he would allow you to play at tomorrow night's festivities. Truly your playing is better than any professional that I have ever heard," you grinned, glad to have someone with talent in the household.

William's eyes became wide, looking terrified by your compliment. His cheeks became darker in a redder shade, flustered by you being kind to him, he attempted to hide his face in looking down.

"Oh no. Lady Y/N, please do not bother Lord Grantham with this. I... I am not very good... and I could never play in front of so many people."

"Well if you will not play for them, will you play for me- please?" You smiled warmly.

He was hesitant to agree but you practically begged him and he sat down on the bench, you sliding to sit down next to him. Although he did seem slightly uncomfortable with it, he started to play, bringing a smile to your face.

"Thank you William," you smiled softly, giving his shoulder a gentle pat. "You have true talent."

~*~

Written by Charlotte