Tom Branson- Maid (c)

"Oh, darn it," you huffed.

You had been cleaning on of the wine glasses when you had accidentally dropped it, shattering it on the floor. You dropped down onto your knees, using one of your cloths to collect the broken shards. Tears welled up in your eyes, quickly spilling down your cheeks. You knew it was stupid to cry over a broken glass, but it was what it represented along with everything else that had been going wrong.

"Hey," Tom said softly. "What's wrong?"

He crouched down next to you, concerned by your tears.

You had been a maid for the Crawley's for a couple of months, your first job, but you were sure that it wouldn't last long. There hadn't been a day that went past when you had been able to work properly, not doing something stupid that would have gotten you kicked out. Luckily you had befriended the chauffeur, Tom, and he had taken you under his wing, acting as though he was like a big brother to you, taking care of you in any way that he could. He helped you make up for all of your mistakes and tried to help you do better at your job, but it was almost impossible to do any worse than you were doing currently.

"I broke a glass," you whispered through your tears.

"It's okay," he assured you, helping you pick up the broken pieces. "Everyone drops something once in a while."

You fell back onto your feet, sitting on them. "It's not once in a while though is it. I broke Lady Edith's mirror yesterday. I was certain I would lose my job, if not my head. If it had been Lady Mary, I am certain I would have."

Tom gave you an apologetic smile, knowing how hard you were finding it to adapt to working in the house. You were too clumsy to be a maid but working there gave your family such pride and you were going to fail them because you kept breaking stuff or doing stuff wrong.

"You will get better. Everyone does struggle at first, it will just take some time to get used to the job and adapt to it," he said softly.

"This is a good job, Tom, I am going to lose it because I am a failure," you sighed.

He shook his head. "It is going to be okay; I will make sure that it is all okay."

You gave him a weak smile, appreciating how much he helped you, something you desperately needed at the moment.

"Thank you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.